Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ultegra 10 group (purchased 7 months ago on new bike) with a constant chirping sound from the crank. At first lubing it from the outside stopped it temporarily . Then when it occurred again I took it to my LBS which opened it up and lubed it. They said it was a tight fit and would probably not go completely away. Any help out there?

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
twowheelstex said:
I have an ultegra 10 group (purchased 7 months ago on new bike) with a constant chirping sound from the crank. At first lubing it from the outside stopped it temporarily . Then when it occurred again I took it to my LBS which opened it up and lubed it. They said it was a tight fit and would probably not go completely away. Any help out there?

Are you sure its a crank?

Take it to a different LBS! Chirping? Chain maybe?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chirping and Creaking maybe similar sound. Lubing worked for a about 20 miles into a 50 mile ride but it did quiet the sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A few more thoughts. Are the chainring bolts tight(the 5 bolts that hold the rings to the crank spider arms). Did you or the shop retighten the crankarm bolts,the ones holding the crankarms to the bottom bracket, after riding your new bike for awhile. Sometimes these bolts need to be retightened after their initial istallation.Last,did the shop or you make sure the sealed bottom bracket spindle was tightend properly into your frame's bottom bracket and were these threads greased (to ease removing) though some people put plumbers teflon thread tape to do the same and tighten up the fit to the botton bracket

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't just tighten the chainring bolts.Remove them, grease the threads, reassemble and torque to specs. I had a clicking noise that myself and the LBS could not find. This is what I finally did to resolve it.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
And furthermore

Bianchiguy said:
Don't just tighten the chainring bolts.Remove them, grease the threads, reassemble and torque to specs. I had a clicking noise that myself and the LBS could not find. This is what I finally did to resolve it.
In general, you want some grease on all metal-to-metal interfaces, so just a thin coat on the faces of the crank spider may be helpful as well. That said, there are a lot of places on a bike that can cause squeaks, chirps, and clicks and it is often hard to find. The fact that the OP got some relief by adding lube at the axle suggests the bearing seals are the noise source. It may be that he just needs to use a better lube in this same place - it may be that the oil he used didn't stay in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts