Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if one of you might be able to help me out, a buddy of mine has a bike, Ultegra bb and 170 crank, double, 39/53 105 front der. ultegra short cage rear and the large on the rear is 25 I think. He would like a lower gear for climbing but going triple would mean new bb, new crank, triple rings, front derailleur, front shifter and new rear der with long cage probably. How small a front ring could we put on.....and could we get a cassette with like a 28?....If we could get to a 36 /28 it would be a world of difference for him. He doesn't need a high gearing he never rides over 20 mph and never more than 10 miles...lol...or I would talk him into a new bike altogether and buy his old on.... (has close to 25 miles on it I bet) His wife works for Trek)

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
msohio said:
You can use the Shimano 11-34 cassette by just changing the dear derailieur to the long one.
I'm not sure an Ultegra road long-cage rear derailleur will shift onto a 34t. Have you tried it? A mountain bike rear will do it for sure though. Before compact cranks, lots of people around here would mount 12-32 9-sp clusters and MTB derailleurs for rides with steep climbs. If you get a MTB derailleur, don't get the reversed "rapid rise" type.

If your friend has 10sp, none of the MTB stuff will work since it is all 9sp. But IRD makes a 10sp 12-28 cluster.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I was wondering if one of you might be able to help me out, a buddy of mine has a bike, Ultegra bb and 170 crank, double, 39/53 105 front der. ultegra short cage rear and the large on the rear is 25 I think. He would like a lower gear for climbing but going triple would mean new bb, new crank, triple rings, front derailleur, front shifter and new rear der with long cage probably. How small a front ring could we put on.....and could we get a cassette with like a 28?....If we could get to a 36 /28 it would be a world of difference for him. He doesn't need a high gearing he never rides over 20 mph and never more than 10 miles...lol...or I would talk him into a new bike altogether and buy his old on.... (has close to 25 miles on it I bet) His wife works for Trek)
The smallest that will go on the front is a 38. To go smaller means a triple or a compact.

Assuming 9-speed: I would try an 11/32 MTB cassette first with the current rear derailleur. If it won't work, then pick up an MTB rear D.

TF

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...I will relay the posts to him, I told him to ride more and get in shape...lol..I don't have any problem getting up his hill.....I have a triple but very rarely use the small one unless I have more than 50 miles in already...then I will use it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sounds to me like a real good candidate for a compact double.

He'd get an easier hill climb gear, he can keep the same cassette so the steps between gears won't change. Find the right crankset and that's the only part he'll have to buy.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke Wrench said:
Sounds to me like a real good candidate for a compact double.

He'd get an easier hill climb gear, he can keep the same cassette so the steps between gears won't change. Find the right crankset and that's the only part he'll have to buy.

that'd work with the 105 double front der right?...sounds thike the most cost efficient way to go, if anything maybe he will have to shorten the chain a bit?

Sorry to sound so stupid about this, but myself,.......I don't know anything about Shimano....hehehe but that is whole new can of worms... (go campy)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
9? 10?

Is it 9-speed, 10-speed, or what? That makes a big difference as to his options. If 9-speed he could change to a triple without buying a shifter. If 10-speed the mountain cassettes won't work. Another option could be a custom cassette like a 13-28 or 13-30. These most likely would work without changing anything but the cassette.

Al

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al1943 said:
Is it 9-speed, 10-speed, or what? That makes a big difference as to his options. If 9-speed he could change to a triple without buying a shifter. If 10-speed the mountain cassettes won't work. Another option could be a custom cassette like a 13-28 or 13-30. These most likely would work without changing anything but the cassette.

Al

I'm sorry I should have stated, it is a 9 speed. As for the compact crank thing I was thinking about that and since it is a Ultegra bottom bracket, doesn't it have that octalink or whatever they call it? Ok now, triple...would require new bottom bracket (length difference for triple), new crank (triple) and new front derailleur, a new rear (long cage) and probably a new chain, correct? (maybe he should just switch to Campy at that point..LOL...(subliminal message))

A Compact crank would require a new bottom bracket, new crank and new chain ??

a custom casette would be the second least complicated and most cost efficient option IF it worked. Not sure if just adding 5 teeth would be enough for him.Frankly I think he ought to ride more and build up his legs!!!!!!

OR SELL ME THE BIKE!!!!!!......and get a new one!

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Going compact can be done with a new crankset only. Just go with a 34 small front and perhaps a 12-27 on the back for a 1.26 ratio.

IMHO it is easier (same cost maybe) to go to a MTB cassette as 39/32 or 34 is lower than the above solution. LX RDs are cheap and work great for this.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I went with an XT rear derailleur and a cassette.

I found the 11 on the 11-32 useless so I used a few old small cogs to make a 12-32 which I ride almost any time I'm not riding fixed. I'm old and fat and there aren't many hills I can't climb on a 39x32.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.