Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody explain to me clearly, preferably by reference to a Web site with pictures, how to thread a shifter cable into a left-hand ST-6600 shifter? I can't figure out how to do it, and the Zinn manual is no help whatever. I can see a channel open on the left side of the shifter that feeds the cable to its exit boss on the right side of the shifter, but the channel has no space for the boss on the end of the cable, and the boss will foul the shifter when it rotates, meaning proper operation is impossible. There is a cap inside the shifter held by a small Phillips screw, but removing the screw doesn't free the cap. Is the cable supposed to feed in from behind this cap? If so, I can't see where it goes. Helpfully, I can't find the Shimano Techdoc for the 6600 shifters, assuming that would be helpful. I read that many people find Shimano left shifters a mystery, and I can see why.

Thanks for your help and your patience.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
You're probably missing step one.

1. Shift to the small ring.
  2. Remove the old cable and housing. Use the old housing as a pattern to cut new housing.
  3. Use a rubber band to hold the brake lever to the handlebar drop.
  4. Push the cable through from the outside of the lever to the inside.
  5. Add fresh housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.