Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering a new bike and have the option of getting ether group. Price between the two is not a problem, presently have 9sp Ultegra on my bike know ( no problems with this). I am not going to be racing just charity rides and group rides. I am definetly set on one of these groups and will be going with a compact crank on this setup. Help me make up my pea brain mind.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
4bykn said:
Apples.....no, wait....oranges.

;)
I like Italian apples. Go Chorus!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
ever tried campy?

The difference in the shifters is usually the deciding factor. Try to test ride Campy before deciding. I switched in 1995 and never went back to Shimano. I prefer the hidden cables and the thumb button's ability to shift up to 9 cogs with a single push. When the shifters are worn they can be repaired, unlike Shimano STI. Even if you chose to replace rather than repair, the shifters are a lot cheaper. Other wear parts, like cassettes are more expensive. Chains are now the same width, so you can pick any 10 speed chain you want. If maintained properly, a campy chain costs no more per mile than cheaper shimano chains.

You're really comparing a higher level Campy group to Ultegra. Centaur is much closer in price and performance to Ultegra.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm a shimano guy mainly because I can't reach the thumb shifter on campy when in the drops. Well, I guess I can reach it, but it is uncomforable. Otherwise, campy definately has more bling factor and looks nicer with the carbon stuff. If I had larger hands, I'd give campy a go.

·
Registered
583 Posts
C-40 said:
You're really comparing a higher level Campy group to Ultegra. Centaur is much closer in price and performance to Ultegra.
This is a prime example of the argument you'll get from someone in the campy cult. I understand your line of logic...shimano's second group in the line and campy's second group in the line. Centaur IS more comperable price wise, but (IMHO) not in terms of performance.

Here is my take on it, not the facts, just the opinions here folks. I have a bike with chorus on it and a bike with dura ace on it. Most (3 out of the 4) guys i ride with on a regular basis ride ultegra bikes. From my experiance (limited as it may be) nothing shifts like the campy when it is dead on. Absolutely crisp - really a beautiful thing. The thing is, the campy stuff comes out of tune A LOT more than the shimano stuff in my experiance. This is not to say it comes out of tune to the degree that it doesn't shift, but it seems pretty quick to come off of "dead on" and you get a lot of extra little clicks and rubbs if you don't tune up after every couple - few rides. This includes my experiance with the 4th guy i regularly ride with's grupo- which is full campy record carbon. He regularly has a tick or click in his drive train and says he can't keep in in tune. At 150 lbs and "only" about 100-150 miles a week, it seems to me this shouldn't be a problem for him. The shimano groups, right down to 105, seem to stay in tune forever. Short of the new dura ace, they may not be quite as crisp a shift. Once you're in tune with the ultegra though, you can count on it staying in tune for a LONG time. Plus, if they have made whatever the heck mods they made to the new generation dura ace, it'll shift very crisply anyway.

Sorry if i have offended any campy-nuts. I noted that this was an opinion as many times as possible...my appologies in advance to the campy cult guys who are about to tell me that they haven't tuned one of their bikes in 72 odd years and it has never come out of tune:D

·
naranjito
785 Posts
i haven't tuned my campy equipped bike in over 72 years and it's never had a problem...:D

seriously, if you're having to readjust every couple of rides, then either something is wrong or you're just not adjusting it right. i've only had my current bike for a bit over a month, but the one i just sold was 4 years old and had campy centaur on it. i'm generally a very conscientious mecanic - one of those anal types who likes to have everything working well and perfectly lubed, etc - but i honestly can't remember the last time i lubed the cables on that bike or did nay major work on it. possibly not since i bought it, because i can't even remember stripping it down to do any major work. the reason i never bothered is just that it has never needed it. it has worked perfectly from day 1 until the day i sold it... 4 years, over 20,000 miles of riding hard all year in all conditions, and it never needed adjusting every two months, let alone every 2 rides...

foz

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Chorus

meathead said:
...Here is my take on it, not the facts, just the opinions here folks...
My opinion and experience differs from meatheads. Over the last week I did a touring ride on Ultegra, a race on Chorus and a training race on Ultegra. Since you said price is not a problem then Chorus is the better group compared to Ultegra. Had price been an issue then the price performance comparison you should be doing is Ultegra vs. Centaur. Best bet is to test ride and see what feels best in your hands.

·
Registered
583 Posts
foz said:
seriously, if you're having to readjust every couple of rides, then either something is wrong or you're just not adjusting it right.

should have noted, guy number 4 who can't keep his record in tune was a bike mechanic for 6 years...the way i see it this makes it an issue with the group and not with him. BTW, he tuned two of the other guys ultegra bikes up for this season and neither of them have had to touch anything yet after over 2,000 miles each.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Alignment

meathead said:
should have noted, guy number 4 who can't keep his record in tune was a bike mechanic for 6 years...the way i see it this makes it an issue with the group and not with him. BTW, he tuned two of the other guys ultegra bikes up for this season and neither of them have had to touch anything yet after over 2,000 miles each.
Perhaps he has dumped his bike and the hanger or derailer are bent. Seriously, I have never had an adjustment problem like you describe in my 72 years of riding. There are a number of mechanics with 6 years experience that I would never let touch my bike. One drawback of Campy is there are many bike shops that only have experience with Shimano. This makes for a delay in getting little parts and complicated things like rebuilding a Campy lever are beyond their ability.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Here we go again

I'm a rare Shimano convert. I use to have Chorus but I like Ultegra better so I sold the bike with Chorus. Not like people in the campy cult, I would recommend neither groups. Test ride and see what feels best in your hands.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
meathead said:
This is a prime example of the argument you'll get from someone in the campy cult. I understand your line of logic...shimano's second group in the line and campy's second group in the line. Centaur IS more comperable price wise, but (IMHO) not in terms of performance.
105 = Veloce
Ultegra = Centaur
Dura Ace = Chorus
Record = A great way to get more money out of people that just have to have top of the line.

I road Shimano for years. I found noticable quality and performance differences as you moved up the line of components. What I've noticed with Campy is relativley little differences in quality and performance as you move up the line. While the parts get lighter and there's more carbon, the action of the mechanisms don't seem to change much.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
meathead said:
The thing is, the campy stuff comes out of tune A LOT more than the shimano stuff in my experiance.
And since we're talking in opinions based on personal experience, I add mine.

I have had precisely the opposite experience. Of the bikes I own, the only ones I have to continuously screw with are that sport DA9. Among the Chorus and Record bikes, I'm not kidding when I say that I have never had to mess with front or rear shifting once they were properly set up on the stand. They run like clocks. And for that reason (well, that plus hidden cable routing and thumb shifters) I will never build another Shimano bike.

So, now we have both sides of the coin, which one is righterer?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
One drawback of Campy is there are many bike shops that only have experience with Shimano. This makes for a delay in getting little parts and complicated things like rebuilding a Campy lever are beyond their ability.
Maybe this is another factor you should take into consideration. Though in defense of either choice you make; at the ultegra or chorus level of group you are dealing with a well built product that you shouldn't be needing any "little parts" for or complicated service on for a LONG time.

4bykn's response is probably the only one you should even bother reading. The campy vs. shimano argument will go on forever. Ride 'em both (and don't be afraid to tell the bike shop you'll be out testing for about an hour on each bike). Whichever seems more comfortable...there ya' go. Then let us know what you bought so we can treat it, for the purposes of this thread, as though you are an individual possesing near devine knowledge and judgement and whatever choice you made was clearly a superior group...until the next campy vs. shimano argument which will probably spring up while you are at the bike shop test riding.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Argentius said:
I'm going to Costco tomorrow, and I can get a great deal on either Coke or Pepsi 36-packs. Now, most of my friends drink Pepsi, but I've been really tempted to try Coke lately. What do you think?
I shop at Sam's and I buy a case of Fresca and a case of caffeine-free Diet Coke. I hate Pepsi.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
dom3333 said:
Ordering a new bike and have the option of getting ether group. Price between the two is not a problem, presently have 9sp Ultegra on my bike know ( no problems with this). I am not going to be racing just charity rides and group rides. I am definetly set on one of these groups and will be going with a compact crank on this setup. Help me make up my pea brain mind.
Chorus. Not even a contest.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do Campy Freehubs allow you to change between 9 and 10 speed cassettes? I'm under the impression that they don't. For someone that ends up racing his 9 spd Ultegra beater bike in crits w/race wheels on and the 10 speed Dura-Ace carbon bike in road races (w/the same race wheels but different cassettes) - this is a critical point.

(I do realize that this may not ever apply to the OP but I was curious anyway....)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.