Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

Two broad questions to 2004/2005 SPD-SL Shimano road shoes/cleat experts....

(Q1)

I have ~12 months since new Shimano Ultegra PD-600 pedals and Shimano shoes (R151, carbon sole) and cleats, SPD-SL.

The cleat has done about ~3500 miles since new and still has those yellow pads ~2-3 mm thick, not worn off, but it has just started to "stick" and to unclip I need to twist my foot twice as far as I normally have to do. It starts to unclip normally at first but then still holds the cleat in the pedal unless I twist the foot ~70 degrees and almost rip my foot off the pedal.

Any ideas? Does 2004/2005 Ultegra pedal require any lubrication/maintenance? The adjustment force + and - marker is the same as before.

How many miles would a road cleat last? I almost always unclip on the same foot (right one) so this is the cleat and pedal that wears the most but I thought it should last more than 3500 miles.... I only walk from the house front door to the car and back, say 30-40 metres, twice per week.

any thoughts?

(Q2)

I have apair of spare cleats, so are they bi-directional i.e. not left and right side specific? It looks like the right cleat in my case will be replaced twice or more before the left one is worn so if the pair of cleats I have are not left/right specific then I can use them both on the same side and save some money? New Shimano SPD-SL cleats are not cheap down under!

thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cleats Probably Worn

Take a good look at the cleats. When mine developed a small indent towards the rear pedal contact point, they didn't want to unclip. I replaced them and all was right again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts