Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of questions about rear derailleurs and bigger cogs here.

I just picked up a Ridley X-Fire disc with Ultegra.
Just tried a 34t XT cog set on it. Worked fine....no adjustments needed.
The front ring is a 36t
Your mileage may vary....

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,660 Posts
reversing the b tension screw is always a great idea to make a derailleur that's spec'd for a max cog of 28 sort of work w/ a 32 or 34.

not.

when you reverse the b screw you're reducing the number of teeth the chain wraps. this might not make much difference on the large cogs, but on the smaller ones you could get some skipping under power. it's also not helping shift performance either. a hack job at best.

·
Registered
219 Posts
reversing the b tension screw is always a great idea to make a derailleur that's spec'd for a max cog of 28 sort of work w/ a 32 or 34.

not.

when you reverse the b screw you're reducing the number of teeth the chain wraps. this might not make much difference on the large cogs, but on the smaller ones you could get some skipping under power. it's also not helping shift performance either. a hack job at best.
Funny, Velo news does not agree with your opinion Ask Nick: Proof that running an 11-32 on Ultegra Di2 is possible

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,660 Posts
Nick is an old friend of mine and i completely respect his mechanical ability. the Di2 derailleurs do seem to work better w/ big cog cassettes than mechanical derialleurs, but i'm going to stick w/ what i posted. it may work ok, but it's never ideal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nick is an old friend of mine and i completely respect his mechanical ability. the Di2 derailleurs do seem to work better w/ big cog cassettes than mechanical derialleurs, but i'm going to stick w/ what i posted. it may work ok, but it's never ideal.
I will agree with that. It is outside the design of the derailleur, but it works and when my legs can develop enough power to make it skip on the small cogs, I'll put the 28-11 back on and not need the 32 :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I love this stuff.

Who cant climb anything paved on a 34 up front with a 28 in the back?
Get a mountain bike. Or a moped.
Well....apparently....a lot of people can't.
Even Pro Tour guys are going for some small gearing when needed.
Some guy named Contador ran a 34/32 combo...
I'm using this bike on a few dirt road rides that have 14K feet of climbing.
But I'm sure you could do it all in your big ring

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Well....apparently....a lot of people can't.
Even Pro Tour guys are going for some small gearing when needed.
I'm using this bike on a few dirt road rides that have 14K feet of climbing.
But I'm sure you could do it all in your big ring
Nope, i have a moped.

I am just blown away by this constant push around here for a 1:1 ratio and no triple. Just run a triple. Problem solved. No need to jimmy rig it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
36/34?
You climbing walls?
Well...there is one section of the D2R2 that causes a lot of people to get off and push...so yeah.
And if Contador raced on a 34/32 last year..and I hear that guy can climb pretty fast....I don't feel bad about a 55 y/o guy wanting a bail out gear.
I plan on running a 36/32 combo...but I had the 34 cog, so I tried it

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Well...there is one section of the D2R2 that causes a lot of people to get off and push...so yeah.
And if Contador raced on a 34/32 last year..and I hear that guy can climb pretty fast....I don't feel bad about a 55 y/o guy wanting a bail out gear.
I hear Contador eats alot of steak though.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nope, i have a moped.

I am just blown away by this constant push around here for a 1:1 ratio and no triple. Just run a triple. Problem solved. No need to jimmy rig it.
What is jimmy rigged about a cassette that fits?
And why install a new crank and shifter if a cassette does the same thing?
Especially if I only run that cassette at a few events.
I may only use the 36 front/32 rear once or twice a year....but it's nice to have.

The bike is my primary cross race bike....and it will have a 42 single front ring and a 28 cog.
But I use it for dirt road events in the summer. At the hardest event....I did the biggest climbs in 38 front/ 28 rear...I made it, but it was a leg breaker.
Going with a 36/32 low this year....because the new bike came with a compact crank...and even if I only use the low gear once or twice all year...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
yeah I know that ride, and Mt. Washington, Lincoln Gap and few others around here.

I think the guy giving you crap rides in the mid-west so you should probably just ignore those comments.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.