Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Ultegra SL brakes (1 works fine, the other is a problem) that are pretty new (10 - 15 rides or so). I took off the brakes yesterday and noticed that one of brakes has a rubbing issue where the 2 arms make contact when the brake is applied. I even notice little scratch marks on one of the arms.

I took it all apart and put it back together but the only adjustment that of manipulating the pivot bolts etc that prevented the arms from touching resulted in a ton of slop or play in the caliper... such that I wouldn't feel safe riding it.

Scrapes

Fully unsprung vs some compression of the pads together (probably to the normal "unengaged" position on a bike):

Any ideas? Visibly nothing looks bent. No crashes or anything substantial that would cause any impact to the arms or brake itself.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Looks like the caliper arms are not exactly parallel to one another. Something got bent or whacked, somehow. There appear to be marks left by something sharp and hard, right above the "SHIMANO" imprint on the front caliper arm—vise grips or channel locks?

I would try to do a little bending so the arms clear each other. It won't take much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ding above the "Shimano" logo... realize that this is super close up so things are only about 1/10th what they seem. Actually one of the photos that I didn't use had my finger in it and by looking at the close up you'd probably recommend that I amputate it immediately :)

The ding is about the size of a spec of dust and the SL metal is super-soft.

I'll see if I can He-Man it back parallel but I was hoping there was a better trick :)

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
jvanv88 said:
The ding above the "Shimano" logo... realize that this is super close up so things are only about 1/10th what they seem. Actually one of the photos that I didn't use had my finger in it and by looking at the close up you'd probably recommend that I amputate it immediately :)

The ding is about the size of a spec of dust and the SL metal is super-soft.

I'll see if I can He-Man it back parallel but I was hoping there was a better trick :)
LOL, they might be tiny, but the dings show that something out of the ordinary took place. You're right about the softness of the material—so don't he-man it. I'd put a rag-wrapped screwdriver blade tip between the arms and gently twist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.