Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at anew bike, which comes equiped with Sram Rival. I was planning to upgrade to Ultegra SL for about $400 but then I saw that the Rival group is 200grams lighter and in a couple reviews people said the shifting quality of the Rival was excellent.

Now I'm wondering if I should stick with Rival.

Thoughts?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Keep the money, there is no justifying spending $400 on as minimal an uprade as that.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
I agree with Rogger - keep the money, if you're itching to upgrade, put into something else, like lighter wheels perhaps...

Ultegra SL versus Rival. They are different in terms of shifting feel, but once you are used to either of the systems, they become second nature, with crisp precise shifts. Here's the Pro Review I wrote for the 2008 Rival group. 2009 Rival has some nice improvements, especially in the zero loss rear derailleur control.

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/blog/2008-sram-rival-groupset-pro-review/

·
Registered
788 Posts
There is no need to do something like that . Your basically paying more for something that is pretty much the same quality . Unless you really dislike the function and feel of Rival , there really is no benefit AT all to switching out and paying more .

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Keep the $400 - it is debatable whether the Ultegra is even an upgrade.

As mentioned above use the money for wheels, which could reduce the weight of the bike even more than the 200 grams you are already saving.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
I'd use the $400 to buy something nice for my wife, so she'd be less inquisitive about how much my new bike cost. Like you, I've seen good reviews for the sram, and it seems the others responding here agree.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I prefer Shimano over SRAM, but as others have pointed out, I wouldn't consider moving from Rival to Ultegra SL an upgrade. Save your money.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Only switch if you hate the SRAM shifting, but even then like they said its not much of an upgrade. Plus SRAM and shimano are compatible, so you could just swap out shifters and derailleurs instead of the whole group.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I thought Ultegra was about to be updated. The current version dates back to 2004 or something, whereas the SRAM is a newer design. As the above people have said, 2009 SRAM seems to be 'better' than 2009 Ultegra, and if the SRAM option is cheaper, then its a no brainer.

I'm looking forward to 2010 Ultegra, if it is updated/new, as Shimano will hopefully do a giant leap forward to position it above Rival and closer to Chorus too. Unfortunately each manufacturer seems to be having huge price increases with every update these days.

·
Registered
586 Posts
24hourssolo said:
I am looking at anew bike, which comes equiped with Sram Rival. I was planning to upgrade to Ultegra SL for about $400 but then I saw that the Rival group is 200grams lighter and in a couple reviews people said the shifting quality of the Rival was excellent.

Thoughts?
Bang for buck SRAM Rival spanks Ultegra SL. Obviously, this is coming from a die hard SRAM fan, but in all technical seriousness, 2009 SRAM Rival is a much better group than Ultegra SL.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Keep the money for a rainy day, 200 grams is nothing you can lose that alone in body weight on a good ride.

Now if you're in my boat and going from a Sora crank and Shimano 600 BB from the 80's to the Ultegra SL crank and BB, the weight savings alone is +300 grams. That's a justifiable upgrade.

SRAM Rival is nice, I've never ridden it but heard plenty of good things. I can tell you this though, my Ultegra build shifts well too, but I wouldn't upgrade to it from an SRAM Rival. :thumbsup: and that's coming from a Shimano nutswinger.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I owned a bike with Ultegra and my new race bike has 09 Rival...

IMO...Rival is a better group as a whole. I like the hoods, shifting and overall feel of Rival better. The shifting has been nothing but perfect so far with Rival where Ultegra though smoother was a bit less accurate overall.

The only issue I've had with Rival was with the bottom bracket, but I've since worked that issue out and have absolutely nothing to complain about with Rival...it simply works, shifts accurately, is lighter and cheaper than Ultegra. The double tap is easy to learn and every bit as intuitive as Shimano Shifting.

Stay with Rival and don't bother with a change over to Ultegra SL...it's not an upgrade...in reality they are equal groups.

·
Registered
22 Posts
24hourssolo said:

Thoughts?
LOL, SRAM Rival is only 100grams heavier than DA7900 and shifts as well. Ultegra would be a downgrade from Rival. Why would you pay $400 to add 200 grams? And don't get me started on those ugly cables hanging all over the front of the bike with Ultegra. :eek:ut:

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
11 speed? Full gruppo? (FD RD Brifters Chain Cassette Brakes Cranks)

Campy no question. 10sp but full gruppo, still Campy.

10 speed and mix of Campy, SRAM...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good answer. The bike is full gruppo except crank on both is an FSA. The chorus also has a centaur sprocket. The Rival is actually a weird mix including chorus brakes. The rest Rival. The other reason for consideing the Chorus is that I was looking for a compact crank and the rival is coming with your standard 53/39. Not sure how much it would cost to trade out...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Some of the Ultegra stuff looks a little better, but I have my doubts whether the Ultegra shifters are as good as the Rival shifters.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Heard Rival BB was rough but I would never upgrade incrementally...I would leap a few tiers. I'd put the $400 toward wheels or nice pedals, or a new saddle. It's always nice to put good money at the touch points.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.