Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this little cylinder which has a band of some sorts around it - this piece is loose and moves - and causes alot of clicking when I'm pedaling.

I'm guessing this piece is non-serviceable and I need to replace the whole front derailuer. I'm not sure if it is causing me any other problems other than the noise - as it still shifts fine.

I'll try to post a picture tonight in case no one knows what I'm talking about.

Is this an important piece or can I just remove it and save .0005 ounces?

·
Does it matter?
760 Posts
that piece is loose on my derailer as well and I don't have any issues with it .I think it's the spring cover. are you sure the noise is coming from that? clicking when you're pedaling could be many things. Best to lube/grease/tighten to try and eliminate noises before buying new parts

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Yes, it's a spring cover that is designed to be free to rotate. With some placements of the front derailleur, it's possible for the derailleur cable to run right over and rub against the spring. If that happens, you need the plastic cover to prevent metal-to-metal rub and possibly the cable from wedging itself between two spring windings. As I can see from your pictures, your cable passes behind the spring, so it's a non-issue for you. I suppose you could remove the plastic spring cover to gain a 0.5 gram weight advantage, especially since it is dreaded rotating weight :D :D

I'm with Mersault here and seriously doubt if the clicking you hear comes from that spring cover. Immobilize it with a dab of grease to find out if that's where the clicking comes from or not.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wim said:
Yes, it's a spring cover that is designed to be free to rotate. With some placements of the front derailleur, it's possible for the derailleur cable to run right over and rub against the spring. If that happens, you need the plastic cover to prevent metal-to-metal rub and possibly the cable from wedging itself between two spring windings. As I can see from your pictures, your cable passes behind the spring, so it's a non-issue for you. I suppose you could remove the plastic spring cover to gain a 0.5 gram weight advantage, especially since it is dreaded rotating weight :D :D

I'm with Mersault here and seriously doubt if the clicking you hear comes from that spring cover. Immobilize it with a dab of grease to find out if that's where the clicking comes from or not.

I'll give it a shot with some grease and see if there is still a somewhat non-random/random clicking noise...

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.