Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me any info you can on doing a triple to a double chainring conversion (ultegra 6500?). This is a 9 speed rear cassette. I know I need a new crank set and front der., do I need a rear der. ? What about shifter swap ? While I am spending $ I was wondering about Dura Ace compatability with this set up. Thanks.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
rangerjas said:
Please give me any info you can on doing a triple to a double chainring conversion (ultegra 6500?). This is a 9 speed rear cassette. I know I need a new crank set and front der., do I need a rear der. ? What about shifter swap ? While I am spending $ I was wondering about Dura Ace compatability with this set up. Thanks.
You need a crankset, bottom bracket and front derailleur. Some report OK results using the same front derailleur. Rear derailleur will work perfect. Ultegra-9 shifters will shift either double or triple.

DA-9 shifters are double or triple specific. Everything else for the double is directly compatible.

TF

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shameless Plug...

rangerjas said:
Thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be that simple.

In case you're interested, I've got a Used Ultegra 6500 Crankset (53, 39, 175 crank arm legnth), BB (english) & front derailleur (double) I'd be happy to part with at a very reasonable price... All are in very good condition & Front Derailleur is "Like New"

Sorry for the plug, but PM me if you are interested!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
As per TF's shopping list for new parts. I did the same thing beginning of 2005 and found that the Ultegra shifters were far more pleasant in use and more reliable on the double set-up. I'd experienced dropped chains several times in '04 riding a triple and got fed up to where I went to double last year.

I did change my rear derailleur as well, but your triple/ long cage rear won't know any difference if you don't tell it ;)

Suggest you RTFM (read the flippin' manual) if you haven't any prior experience in this region. You can download what comes with the components off Shimano's website. Follow their set-up instructions for the front and rear gears from start to finish and you won't go far wrong.

Folk who have trouble usually slung it all on, lashed up the cables, then started diddling with limit stops and suchlike odd behaviour...

Regards
Dereck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I am hoping to find DA 7700 crank as well as front der. on ebay for a good price. I used to work on bikes all the time, but am still trying to get up to speed on the new equipment. My current bike is 20 year old steel Puch with campy components.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Dereck said:
As per TF's shopping list for new parts. I did the same thing beginning of 2005 and found that the Ultegra shifters were far more pleasant in use and more reliable on the double set-up. I'd experienced dropped chains several times in '04 riding a triple and got fed up to where I went to double last year.

I did change my rear derailleur as well, but your triple/ long cage rear won't know any difference if you don't tell it ;)

Suggest you RTFM (read the flippin' manual) if you haven't any prior experience in this region. You can download what comes with the components off Shimano's website. Follow their set-up instructions for the front and rear gears from start to finish and you won't go far wrong.

Folk who have trouble usually slung it all on, lashed up the cables, then started diddling with limit stops and suchlike odd behaviour...

Regards
Dereck
I would disagree on the reliability of the Ultegra-9 triple. I've been using both double and triple for quite some time and have never dropped the chain off the inside. The triple is no harder to set up than the double and no less reliable. It is the best way to get as wide a gear range as possible with the narrowest gaps possible without the considerable expense of a 10-speed. - TF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts