Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a road bike for my wife and she would like a triple set. I have an extra bike currently outfitted with ultegra double 9 speed. If I bought a triple crank and FD, would it work with my double RD and shifters? Thanks!

Dave

· Registered
606 Posts
I'm swapping out the 105 triple that came on my 2007 closeout Trek Portland which I haven't even taken for a ride yet for a compact crank.

I know that I will have to switch at least the front der. as well, have been told by 4 knowledgeable people that it's the same shifter for doubles & triples versus 1 who says its not. Jury is still out on whether or not the rear der. will need to be changed.

· sometimereader
1,202 Posts
davidbr93 said:
I'm building a road bike for my wife and she would like a triple set. I have an extra bike currently outfitted with ultegra double 9 speed. If I bought a triple crank and FD, would it work with my double RD and shifters?
In standard Ultegra 10 speed systems, there is a different front shifter for triples, the 6603. See http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/road/ultegra/product.-code-ST-6603.-type-st_road.html Unfortunately the Shimano site no longer seems to have info about 9 speed Ultegra.

All STI Ultegra and DA have a unique front shifter for triples. But 105 and lower lines have a single shifter that supports both doubles and triples.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
davidbr93 said:
I'm building a road bike for my wife and she would like a triple set. I have an extra bike currently outfitted with ultegra double 9 speed. If I bought a triple crank and FD, would it work with my double RD and shifters? Thanks!

Dave
The 9-speed Ultegra shifters work with both 2x and 3x. You need a triple RD (long cage). The FD may or may not work to your satisfaction - I would get a new one.

Note that if you get a 6500 (9-speed) triple crank set, you need a 9-speed FD and the 6500 triple FD is very hard to find. You can use a 5500 triple FD (105).

You also need the triple bottom bracket if it is 9-speed crankset and a spacer for the BB if you use a 10-speed.

TF

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
The 9 speed Ultegra shifters model 6510 are 3x and 2x compatible,

you'd need to change,

the crankset
the bottom bracket
the FD
the RD ( change the short cage for a long cage one )

you could keep the 2x RD but it would not be able to handle the slack of the chain when you are on the small ring and the small cogs.

The FD 6503 is available here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13625 and other Ultegra 6503 parts as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.