Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
I disagree, which sums up the reason that your LBS can't give you a real answer.

Campagnolo has one more road group than Shimano, so depending how you line them up, Chorus is aligned against either Ultegra or Dura-Ace. Either way, it's Campy's second-best group, perfectly functional for anything you want to do on a bike. Same with Ultegra.

Try them both, then factor in price.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Centaur = Ultegra...

Comparing Ultegra to Chorus is off base. Centaur is the correct comparison. The Centaur crank is a bit long in the tooth, but supposedly Campy is coming out with a new crank/BB next year. Personally, I use FSA cranks with my Campy drivetrains.

Many Chorus parts are identical to Record of a few years ago. Functionally, there's hardly any difference between Chorus and Record. The Record Ultra shifters do require a bit less effort to operate. The only other difference is a few ounces of weight, do to the use of more carbon and various Ti parts on the Record group.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
iproxy said:
Hi,

Since I can’t get a straight answer from my LBS I’m going to ask here.

Which is best Ultegra or Chorus?

And where does the Chorus fits in the Shimano line?

Thanks.
They are both fine equipment, and will serve you well.

I'd suggest basing the decision on function. Not everyone likes the thumb-levers of Campy, not everyone likes the double swing arms of Shimano. Figuring out which suits you better will be more important to you than the near-religious argument of which is 'better.'

Find a way to ride them both, and try not to think about it. Go with what feels right.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'd go Campy (well, actually I went Campy).

Here are my reasons:
1. Looks better. Every component looks better than the Shimano equivalent. Only gripe is the fake CF for the little shift lever. Even on Record :(

2. Less common among US riders.

3. The Campy line is almost completely 10 speed (Veloce, Centaur, Chorus, Record), which makes mixing parts easier than shimano. Especially since as of right now Shimano has 8 (Sora), 9 (Tiagra, some 105), and 10 speed parts (some 105, Ultegra, DuraAce). Granted you can find more 3rd party suppliers for things like chains and cassettes when it comes to Shimano.

4. I actually like the thumb shifter vs the brake lever shifter.

5. Hoods are a bit smaller, and the whole shift assembly doesn't move every time the brakes are used.

6. Shift and Brake cables are under bar tape vs just brake for Shimano.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have actually used both, new on a new bike, and...

both work well. There are some differences which I noticed:
•Chorus hubs are better that Ultegra hubs
•some Chorus pieces seem a bit more substantial that the Shimano things--my Ultegra brifters had rattles, and their function degraded more quickly than Chorus in time
•my Ultegra cogs needed to be replaced before my Chorus cogs
•on my tandem, the Ultegra BB failed internally after less than 2k miles, but ok on single bike
•I like Ergo brifters much better than the Shimano units
•so I was selling the Shimano bike anyway, so out went the S, and now I ride Campy

iproxy said:
Hi,
Since I can’t get a straight answer from my LBS I’m going to ask here.
Which is best Ultegra or Chorus?
And where does the Chorus fits in the Shimano line?
Thanks.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Centaur = Ultegra
Chorus = Dura Ace
Record = a great way to extract a little extra cash from those that must have the top of the line.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Chorus & Ultegra are both excellent. I've owned them both. If I were buying a bike today, I'd be hard-pressed to make a decision.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Good Comparison

bsdc said:
Centaur = Ultegra
Chorus = Dura Ace
Record = a great way to extract a little extra cash from those that must have the top of the line.
This is the typical line up when reading professional reviews. It is also consistent with my experience after having all of these groupos (except Record) in our house.

iproxy said:
Since I can’t get a straight answer from my LBS I’m going to ask here. Which is best Ultegra or Chorus?
Maybe the reason you can't get a straight answer is because the LBS lacks the experience. Do there employees ride both component groups on a regular basis? Does the shop stock both groups?

Well one of the benefits of Campagnolo is the ability to rebuild stuff rather than throw it away. To do this either you or your LBS need to be somewhat familiar with Campy stuff. I would say if your LBS is not familiar with Campy and you are not mechanically inclined then the rebuild option is not a deciding factor.

For me the choice would be Chorus before Ultegra every time. I am sick of throwing away STI levers that stop working after listening to them rattle mile after mile.

·
Banned
141 Posts
I'm a rare Shimano convert. I've used Centaur and Chorus and they weren't really great for me(feel, modulation, and etc.). I'm using Ultegra currently. and happy with them. I suggest you to test them out yourself and see what you like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't forget about the "Double Dump"!

In addition to all the other points, I really like the ability with the Campy thumb shifters to perform the Double Dump. It goes like this -As you are coming to the beginning of an incline after a flat or slightly downhill run, in the big ring and a mid cog, you push both thumb shifters all the way down. This drops to the small ring and down about three cogs. Shazam! You just got a slight downshift, and are in the small ring poised to keep downshifting as the incline demands. Although you can do something similar with Shimano, the Campy does it very smoothly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.