Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for a wheelset for a Roubaix SL3 (don't have it yet). All three are available for under $500 but at least the first two are a few years old. I'm not sure if they're now dated. The tubeless feature of the Ultegra looked interesting. They're a little heavier than most ( I'm 165 and don't typically destroy wheels). I ride in Seattle so they will get wet and maybe get some road grit mixed in.

I'd even consider moving upscale for a big payback. Dura Ace Carbon Tubeless are an option but at $1000 they'd have to be a huge improvement. The new Ksyrium with their ceramic brake surface look interesting too (granted I don't know the price).

I'd read mixed reviews of some of the carbon wheelsets (e.g. Easton EC90) in the rain. Seattle doesn't have the greatest roads so I'd pay a bit more if there was a big ride improvement.

As an alternative, I could get the Roubaix SL3 Bicycle. The expert comes with Roval's which just don't seem like they've blown anyone away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks it helps. I guess the Mon Chasseral is closer to $1k so more of a comparison to the Dura Ace Tubeless than the Ultegra or Bastogne.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks it helps. I guess the Mon Chasseral is closer to $1k so more of a comparison to the Dura Ace Tubeless than the Ultegra or Bastogne.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
austinkicksass said:
Check out the shimano rs80 which use the same rim as the DuraAce but are a lot cheaper
they are out of stock here but they are the best price
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38244
and if you want you can get the DuraAce ones for a lot less than a grand
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25007
First, why is the front available and the rear available, but the pair is out of stock? :idea:

I have the RS80's and love them. Got them on e-bay for about the same proce, so this is really a great buy on the set and at those prices, the Dura Ace is a bargain as well. I purchased them specifically for the aluminum braking surface, now I have 25's on them and think it is a great combination.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
if the HEDs are a few years old check that they are the c2 rim - there are some older ones around with an older (narrower) rim. The C2 rim is what makes these wheels stand out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts