Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many great bikes out there and i am sure this question has been asked before but which bike do you think would be the best bike to ride in crits, hills and centuries. I like the new Cannondale system six, Cervelo r3. I would also like to ride the Look 585 to see how good they really are, ive read the're great but never ridden one.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
No such thing.

Kabooby said:
There are so many great bikes out there and i am sure this question has been asked before but which bike do you think would be the best bike to ride in crits, hills and centuries. I like the new Cannondale system six, Cervelo r3. I would also like to ride the Look 585 to see how good they really are, ive read the're great but never ridden one.
A bike is a shoe, or a glove. The one that fits you is the one that's the best.

A bike is a tool. The best one is the one for the job. No good using a hammer for screws, no good using a stage-race bike for crits.

·
Registered
228 Posts
danl1 said:
Agreed.

A bike is a tool. The best one is the one for the job. No good using a hammer for screws, no good using a stage-race bike for crits.
I disagree. Bikes aren't that specialized. Don't think that if you build a bike for one type of riding that it will be unsuitable for another. The best bikes are the ones you'll ride.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
danl1 said:

Well said.:thumbsup:

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
whatever feels fast, fits, and has gears that work when you want them to and brakes that brake when you want them to.

the spiel about using a crit bike for a crit and stage race bike for a stage race is nonsense.

Kabooby said:

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Fivethumbs said:
So let me get this straight...The guy who rides his crit bike in the mountains is a tool?...
Not at all. A good bike can be a great bike for a lot of uses. The vast majority of us (myself included) have only one main ride, and there's not a thing wrong with that. My previous 'only' bike was definitively a crit bike, and when I eased up on racing and started more recreational distance riding, I found I wanted something better suited to that job.

But there is no bike that is ideal for all disciplines. Yep, you can take a crit bike over lots of miles, but the faster steering, tighter wheelbase, and stiffer setup will beat on you more than a bike made for laying down the miles, and as a result will be a disadvantage to a bike designed for that purpose. Similarly, the (relatively) slack angles and longer wb of a bike designed for long distances is a distinct disadvantage on a tight crit course.

As an extreme example, consider TT's in the mix. No one seriously suggests using a TT bike with drop bars as your main ride, or adding clip-ons to a road bike as the best way to do that job. It'd get you by in the beginning, but it's not ideal.

If the question was 'mostly x, with some y and a little z now and then', maybe there's an answer. But as I read the question, we're looking for an ideal compromise - a bike that is the best bike for all disciplines. And I maintain there is no such thing. The notion of compromise defeats the hope of ideal. And if there was only one best, the question couldn't exist - the rest would be driven from the marketplace, or would be discounted enough that the answer would be obvious.

If looking for an optimum compromise, any of these mentioned (and a dozen or so others) might be the 'best' compromise for a given rider and his mix of uses - and it's fit that will be the primary decision point amongst them.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Custom Parlee

Kabooby said:
He could build you a bike to suit your needs (and I just think they are cool). Seriously, just get a bike that fits and you are stoked on. When you get into the $3.5K+ rides you are talking about they are all going to rule.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If there were an ultimate bike, then all the pros would ride it. Instead they ride whatever they are paid to ride and seem to do just fine on whatever brand they are on. They win races because of their cycling ability, not because of the brand of bikes they ride.

I always recommend getting whatever turns your crank. I like light colored bikes and I like titanium and steel frames so that's mostly what I have. Your preferences may run in the opposite direction. That's good too.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
If your team isn't providing you with a bike, then the " ultimate" race bike is one that is light and sturdy enough to get you in good position to the finish line -- whatever the race -- *and* one that is inexpensive enough to you so that you can afford to replace it or its components when you crash it.

everything else is just gravy.

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
714 Posts
the one with the best motor

or that pulls the most g's inna turn or waitta minute, that is the rider, yeah, the guy on the 20somethinglb steel training bike pulling away from mere mortals...

Kabooby said:

·
Registered
432 Posts
The responses in this thread are spot-on.
No road bike will ride well in soft dirt or on wet clay soil and grass. You need a bike that has big fat tires with tread on them. And you know, boys and girls, that mean the broad category called, "mountain bike."

A cyclocross bike is a bike that can mount wider tires. You can't do that on most road bikes, the fork would limit the largest tired you could mount.

A time trial bike puts a rider in an aerodynamic position. Note, aerodynamic does not mean comfortable. If you want to put in long miles, you don't use a time trial bike. For that matter, you had better not have that style of bike as your main ride. A time trial is part of a stage race. No rider would win such races if all he/she ever did was ride a time trial bike around.

A bike that fits a rider perfectly and is set up for the kind of riding they do is a joy to ride.

It's about proper fit first and foremost, everything else is emotional factors and bling.

To properly answer the original question posed, there is no one bike that excels in crits, races and centuries. A bike must be optimized for the function. A crit bike is too uncomfortable on a long ride like a century. A racing bike is a machine made as light as possible since a rider is trying to shave fractions of seconds off his/her time. A racing bike does not make a good century bike. It would be like having a stallion pull a plow.

·
FIRESTARTER
72 Posts
Here it is

This one's too easy. I'm not sure if you can get anymore "Ultimate" than this! The Ultimate race bike is by Litespeed:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.