Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it's raining really hard and you're carrying one of those giant golf umbrellas and you happen to approach someone without an umbrella at a crosswalk waiting for the light to turn green, would you shield him/her with your umbrella while waiting?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
would you shield him/her
No/probably... but those are just guesses, I don't recall ever carrying an umbrella so I'd be the guy on the other side of that question standing there getting soaked. And I wouldn't expect a guy with an umbrella to walk up next to me and hold it over both of us so I wouldn't be offended when he didn't.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
No/probably... but those are just guesses, I don't recall ever carrying an umbrella so I'd be the guy on the other side of that question standing there getting soaked. And I wouldn't expect a guy with an umbrella to walk up next to me and hold it over both of us so I wouldn't be offended when he didn't.
rep this boy!

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
This is interesting. It rained here today, and not everyone on the walkthrough this morning was adequately prepared.

I started carrying an umbrella in the car when I was going to night school. One of the better things one can buy for under ten bucks.

And I agree with Retrogrouch.

So I probably ain't sharing.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm gonna just blow thru the stop light and not worry about some guy standing in the rain.

But as long as we're riding around in the rain with giant golf umbrellas, if there's a monster tailwind, is the umbrella better used to keep dry or as a sail to utilize the tailwind.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm gonna just blow thru the stop light and not worry about some guy standing in the rain.

But as long as we're riding around in the rain with giant golf umbrellas, if there's a monster tailwind, is the umbrella better used to keep dry or as a sail to utilize the tailwind.
Geez, I just reread everything and realized that I'm the only one here riding around on a bicycle with a giant golf umbrella. I responded like I was on a cycling thread and here I am sitting in the lounge.

Sorry for the foolishness.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Geez, I just reread everything and realized that I'm the only one here riding around on a bicycle with a giant golf umbrella. I responded like I was on a cycling thread and here I am sitting in the lounge.

Sorry for the foolishness.
no kidding, you new here??????

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Geez, I just reread everything and realized that I'm the only one here riding around on a bicycle with a giant golf umbrella.

This conversation is just waiting to be reapplied to the next no0b question in "beginner's corner" re: riding in the rain.

"Your best bet is to find the biggest golf umbrella you can afford, and affix it to the headset. Ask your LBS about umbrella-compliant headsets."

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not mentioned above but useful to know...

How do you turn your dishwasher into a snowblower?

Give her a snow shovel.

runs and hides.......

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
If it's raining really hard and you're carrying one of those giant golf umbrellas and you happen to approach someone without an umbrella at a crosswalk waiting for the light to turn green, would you shield him/her with your umbrella while waiting?

You shouldn't do so without asking, first. It violates a person's personal space and independence.

The proper way is to make an offer such as, "Would you like to share my umbrella?".

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I would, but only if he paid me $5 first.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Colorado Umbrellas.. mostly used during CX races when it's snowing. When it's raining there is always lightning...and I prefer not to get lit up.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I might, I might not.

But what I WILL do is stand with him between me and the giant puddle, so that when the car comes by and throws up a big splash, he blocks it for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts