Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just saw this as well. I'm kind of hoping we'll see the lawyer or LA in a fawning interview on Fox and Friends later this morning!

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Are you surprised? It's the usual drivel trotted out to defend the indefensible. If the guy had a strong case and confidence in his client he wouldn't need to resort to cheap populism. Smart move, tho', anyone who brands Tex as a cheat probably harbours Al Qaeda bombers or sanctions same-sex marriage. In answer to your question, maybe. Tea-baggers on Treks. 'Lemond', that's a French name right?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh, I don't know. Between that and "If he'd finished 2nd none of this would be happening," I think he's got a pretty solid case.

Hee hee.

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
I too would say this is typical lawyer speak. The term Un-American is off in my opinion though. Standard. But...

Why isn't this ALL about Levi, for example? Floyd accused him also, among others. Unfortunately, what seems to be "American" is an overwhelming desire to see the big man on campus fail, whether it be Tiger or whomever these days... If it bleeds it leads right...

Spread the wealth. Why all about LA? Possibly because he won multiple times? Some of us think he was the "drug kingpin" demanding that everyone take drugs. Those poor adults on the team had NO choice but to OBEY...:rolleyes:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Apart from the "un-American" part, his lawyer is pretty much spot on.

Millions of tax payer dollars are being spent on this...and for what? At the end of the day what might someone be charged with?

Of the BALCO ring, Marion Jones did 6 months for check fraud, and Barry Bonds is still at large 10 years later waiting to go to trial.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Marc said:

Millions of tax payer dollars are being spent on this...and for what? At the end of the day what might someone be charged with?

Of the BALCO ring, Marion Jones did 6 months for check fraud, and Barry Bonds is still at large 10 years later waiting to go to trial.
I guess the main thing is that the BALCO was busted; the lab shutdown and the doping ring dissolved. What will come out of this investigation - I have no idea.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Marc said:

You're missing about a half dozen convictions.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
AJL said:
I guess the main thing is that the BALCO was busted; the lab shutdown and the doping ring dissolved. What will come out of this investigation - I have no idea.
I think what many are overlooking is that taking down LA is not the prize here. There's a bigger whale to catch.
If it is shown that LA & USPS doped, and that the UCI were aware of it then Messrs McQuaid & Verbruggen are in the firing line and by virtue of HV's current job the IOC to boot are open to investigation, perhaps?
Once a federal/national investigation is in play all manner of information that was thought to be confidential may be subject to scrutiny. Once it's out in the open it may be possible to suppress it wrt lawsuits etc, but with the joys of the www it isn't possible to suppress it in the public's mind. Heads may not roll officially, but they may be forced to resign anyway.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
SilasCL said:
You're missing about a half dozen convictions.
Which makes it even more pathetic, considering how many athletes were BALCO customers.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
ultimobici said:
I think what many are overlooking is that taking down LA is not the prize here. There's a bigger whale to catch.
If it is shown that LA & USPS doped, and that the UCI were aware of it then Messrs McQuaid & Verbruggen are in the firing line and by virtue of HV's current job the IOC to boot are open to investigation, perhaps?
Once a federal/national investigation is in play all manner of information that was thought to be confidential may be subject to scrutiny. Once it's out in the open it may be possible to suppress it wrt lawsuits etc, but with the joys of the www it isn't possible to suppress it in the public's mind. Heads may not roll officially, but they may be forced to resign anyway.
Tell me, how does the US government have oversight over an international sporting body (The UCi) based in the EU?

I'll give you credit for being creative, if nothing else.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Marc said:
Which makes it even more pathetic, considering how many athletes were BALCO customers.
Oh, a whole lot more than that tested positive as a result of the investigation. I'd guess 10-20 off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Marc said:
Tell me, how does the US government have oversight over an international sporting body (The UCi) based in the EU?

I'll give you credit for being creative, if nothing else.
Not what I meant.

I was merely pointing out that many posters as well as friends I've discussed these revelations with take the "what's the point of going after LA?" line.

I don't think that the US authorities give a flying f### about Europe. But I do think that PM, HV & the UCI are crapping themselves over what may come out as a result of this affair. You can almost hear the shredders going in Aigle.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
SilasCL said:
Oh, a whole lot more than that tested positive as a result of the investigation. I'd guess 10-20 off the top of my head.
That is what I'm remembering offhand too.

But, I think that anybody who think that Lance is going to get shot down by this is deluding themselves in the highest. I ain't saying he's clean but given the ridiculous number of people pestering he and his crew over the years looking for evidence of doping-and nothing concrete has ever been found, I doubt the Fed will find anything either.

Besides, I honestly don't see how the fed has any jurisdiction over this anyway.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
ultimobici said:
I don't think that the US authorities give a flying f### about Europe. But I do think that PM, HV & the UCI are crapping themselves over what may come out as a result of this affair. You can almost hear the shredders going in Aigle.
My point wrt the EU was that why is the US investigating this? Baseball I can understand, given the immense revenue and the right of Congress to regulate interstate commerce. Professional cycling generates practically no money here. The whole matter seems like a fishing investigation, instituted thanks to a guy who in front of a jury has zero credibility.

Odds are PM et al will resign if/when any mud comes out, and that'll be the end of their careers. I don't see how any kind of criminal wrongdoing can be pinned on them. Unless they are dumb enough to perjure themselves...and even then given the international nature of the sport, I have no clue who would even have the right to drag them into a trial.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Marc said:
My point wrt the EU was that why is the US investigating this? Baseball I can understand, given the immense revenue and the right of Congress to regulate interstate commerce. Professional cycling generates practically no money here. The whole matter seems like a fishing investigation, instituted thanks to a guy who in front of a jury has zero credibility.

Odds are PM et al will resign if/when any mud comes out, and that'll be the end of their careers. I don't see how any kind of criminal wrongdoing can be pinned on them. Unless they are dumb enough to perjure themselves...and even then given the international nature of the sport, I have no clue who would even have the right to drag them into a trial.
Bearing in mind that it appears that this investigation didn't start with Landis but Ball & Rock Racing, I wonder if it is based on drug trafficking & fraud and LA's doping is an incidental feature?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts