Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got out....9.8 F when I left, 14 when I got back.......the roads were a mess, but not sloppy wet at least. Once I was done being scared spitless, I was ok.

Descents were NOT my friend today. Since I was riding fixed, when I try to keep the speed down via pedals, the rear would break loose. That was a bit un nerving.

I wasn't cold, I didn't fall...life is good

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tweezak said:
How are your dog's paws holding up?
she's fine......her brain appears to have fallen out though

Next week is supposed to drop into th -30 to -40 with wind chills range....She doesn't live outside, she spends most of her time laying in front of the fire....tough life huh?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey Bent, your disks come yet? I threw them in the mail on Thursday I think...Zmudshark got his the next day I think....almost quicker than e-mail, lol

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tar, they are 27 x 1 3/8 Kenda Kross (nice tires for this application) The fenders are planet bike, Hardcore, 35 mm. I get enough clearance under the fenders but up at the rear brake bridge it is closer than I would like, but it'll do. I ended up using the "clip" and zip ties, using the brake bolt just put them too close to the tires. I can post you a closeup if you would like

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
she's fine......her brain appears to have fallen out though

Next week is supposed to drop into th -30 to -40 with wind chills range....She doesn't live outside, she spends most of her time laying in front of the fire....tough life huh?
Sadly, I think next week is gonna be a roller week. I have no problems commuting in a blizzard and I've ridden through 18 inches of fresh snow with no complaints... but wind chills like that just aren't healthy...

Good to see someone getting out and enjoying the day!

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
TOG, Why ride fixed in the snow? I've never even ridden a fixed, but it seems that the ability to freewheel and feather the brakes would be an advantage. I do ride a SS, but it would also seem that gears would be an advantage, so that you can slow down and not spin the rear wheel too fast when climbing. You have other choices, I'm assuming, so why the fixie?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Johnny...you know I do, I have a cross with flat bars, incredible gearing, fenders and good tires......It has platform pedals, I can wear insulated boots....
why wasn't i riding it?....'cause I'm an idiot?

it does weigh a good 5 pounds more does that count? (considering I had 6 pounds of clothes on this morning)

·
...?
1,481 Posts
your doing better this winter than I am so far. Its been about a month since I've been on the bike. It seems like every time I find the motivation to go for a ride its either snowing, snowed recently so the shoulder is taken up by snowbanks, or its really cold and/or windy. If I had the monies for winter tires or studs it would be different, but I cant afford to risk it with road tires and no insurance.

I'm the superfail.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
LMAO! I'm assuming the clothes in that 1st photo are what you wore. That looks like all the cycling clothes I own! Admittedly I tend to run a bit hot. In addition to my regular cold weather tights, poly fleece jersey, and unlined Illuminite jacket, I'd have thrown on something under my jersey seeing that it was that cold.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
LMAO! I'm assuming the clothes in that 1st photo are what you wore. That looks like all the cycling clothes I own! Admittedly I tend to run a bit hot. In addition to my regular cold weather tights, poly fleece jersey, and unlined Illuminite jacket, I'd have thrown on something under my jersey seeing that it was that cold.
well yeah...and i wasn't hot either...and that doesn't include the chemical warmers in my mittens and shoes...lol

shorts, long tights, fleece tights, tights with "wind chaps", under armour, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, merino wool jersey, jacket, neoprene booties, socks, shoes, fleece helmet liner, poly-prop gloves, leather mittens......seriously...7 pounds of clothing....BUT if you look at the pictures of me dressed, it isn't bulky at all...but I sure don't want to be inside for any length of time....

Randi.....without insurance....not a fail....a wise move....I have great insurance and I need a vacation.....lol

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
tar,

This has been discussed in another thread. I have 35mm Planet Bike Freddy fenders, and they don't fit over my 700x28 rear tire. The front fits okay because it doesn't have as much tread and because the brake bolt brace on the rear hits my tire. I tried cutting the sides of the brace that wrap around the fender and bolting it on, but then the bolt rubbed on the wheel, and I couldn't move the fender far enough away. So I'm getting some 45mm fenders (should be in tomorrow) so that I can use the rear one. I may have to cut it a bit arund the seat stays, but I'm okay with that.

I guess, if I had more clearance over the tire (and longer reach brakes and not a horiz track droupout) then I might be able to use a 35mm fender by mocing it away from the tire more.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there is a difference between the Freddy Fender and the hardcores, If your frame will fit a 45 I would go 45 anyhow. They are very easily trimmed with tin-snips, I had to shorten the rear (at the front/bottom bolt hole for my cross bike. If you have to trim to go around a stay, a round file works well.

here is a shot of what I had to do to clear properly on a 27 (which is slightly larger than a 700C)

If i used the bolt hole on the clip I had almost NO clearance under the fender. I used the "dual zip tie" system to pull it forward a bit too

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BentChainring said:
Um... cool...

I have no Idea where I was going with that last night...
hehheehehehe......apparently it didn't matter that much either...lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.