Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.
I imagine there are people that will roll their eyes when I ask this...but did any of you guys have a problem donning tight bicycle shorts when you guys started out?
I realize that it serves a greater function and that I shouldn't worry so much about form, but it's a little hard to convince myself into tight shorts.

Are there any other styles of shorts made for cyclists that aren't really for racing?

And if any of you have shared this feeling, or for those that had no problem at all getting into bicycle shorts, please share.

thanks

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
just display your choad with pride dude.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
They do make baggy shorts with a chamois, or you could wear gym shorts over tight bike ones.

Everybody has seen a cyclist, almost everyone just puts tight bike shorts and biking together, so nobody really views it as weird to wear tight shorts on a bike. I mean people don't think twice about wrestling and that's basically hugging sweaty men in skin tight suits.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts

· Registered
3,754 Posts
The only time I felt uncomfortable in bike shorts was when I was going for a ride right after work and stopped at the hair salon to drop off my work clothes with my wife who was getting her hair cut.

Everybody's eyes immediately went right to my package, which tends to "turtle" whenever I ride (honest). If I ever have to do that again I'll first stop by the grocery store to buy a zuchini or cucumber.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Yeah, it's a little uncomfortable at first. Hang out with some other riders for a while, and it becomes second nature quickly. Things to think about:

1)They're black, so unless you are standing in perfect profile and are thinking impure thoughts, there's not much to see. The front of the chamois doesn't necessarily cover, but it provides dimensional camoflage.

2) They're not meant for the mall. If you're on the bike, no one sees you for more than a fraction of a second anyway.

3) If they're looking that closely, chat them up.

4) Folks worry about stops at gas stations, truck stops, etc. No need. The folks that you are worried about will be working very, very hard to be very obvious in how much they're NOT looking.

5) Coffee shop? a) Table. b) don't sit like a linebacker. c)real cyclists don't hang out at coffee shops anyway (well, at least not in kit.)

6) Get over it. half the population has the same stuff you do anyway. The other half? Despite the way the menfolk think, what is (or isn't) apparent in your cycling shorts isn't anything you need worry about. If how you appear in bike shorts is a major decision criteria, you don't want what they've got.

7) If the discomfort is about weight issues instead of how things hang... You are getting far more style points by getting out there than a little lumpy lycra will ever cost.

8) People either want a show or they don't. If they don't, all they have to do is not stare - they're not so revealing that a casual glance will burn anyone's sensitive retinas. If they do want a show, smile and consider it a public service.

I should have found two more. Point is, it'll only feel odd the first couple of times, or when you find yourself rolling your bike into a four-star hotel lobby at cocktail hour.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
just display your choad with pride dude.
word. if you're really self conscious about it maybe a long inseam-ish bib like Lance™ popularized will help you feel more comfortable. whatever you do, don't try the bike shorts with running shorts on top "solution". it's ridiculous. MTB baggies wold be far better.

· Registered
8 Posts
Go to the beach during a Surf Life Saving Carnival - all the guys there wear DT's or Meat Hangers togs - you know, the skimpy little things - however, as they all wear them, nobody really pays attention - its the dude who wear pants over his togs or such that gets the attention, He stands out, he is now the odd one out - people look at him and think, "whats he hiding?"

whats the saying? "When in Rome....."

· Registered
35 Posts
I bought a new bib and jersey on the weekend. I didn't have an issue with the bib, but man did I feel stupid with the jersey. I had to go with a size larger and I still felt strange. No extra material to drape over the shorts, and no extra material to drape over the few extra pounds left over from winter. Pure motivation to get into shape!!!

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
The first time I wore shorts I felt delighted because my taint was no longer so numb I had to wonder if I could ever father children. I think it's empowering. I'm guessing it's akin to women bearing a bit of cleavage. The only people who will ogle and make fun are too insecure to do the same thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.