Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm re-building my wife's bike to Campy and will need a wheelset. We both have been riding Shimano wheels, so I'm not up to speed on the latest offerings. I would like something reasonably light but durable. Tubeless would be a plus, but not nesessary. She is currently riding Shimano 6700 tubeless and is happy with how they perform. Thanks!

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Fulcrum Racing 3 @Wiggle is right around budget...
Fulcrum Racing 5 is half that
Fulcrum Quatro is in between.
Of the three, I'd go with the Racing 3.

Miche/Open-Pro build from velomine
With a little work, you can pick up a set of handspun wheels, record hub with dtswiss 465 for about budget (WE7223 and WE7222).

There's the Hope Hoops Pro build as seen in this thread, which is under budget.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Also check out the thread "Zonda wheels" (Campy's model name), which I think is in the Campy sub-forum.
Near-universal positive reports in that thread.

As you may know, Fulcrum brand is owned by Campy and there is very close correspondence between most Fulcrum and Campy models. Rims are identical, hubs nearly identical, and typically the only difference is graphics and the presence/absence of the rear wheel "G3" spoke lacing pattern.

Few months ago I damaged a Shamal Ultra wheel set in a race crash. Decided to replace with Zonda, the 5-6 oz lighter weight of Shamal wheels was no way worth an extra $600+ for me.

IIRC, I paid about $350 for the Zonda wheelset from Wiggle, free shipping and no duty tax was assessed (very rare to get charged).

Be sure to apply Wiggle discount codes for extra savings. I think right now, codes 10-EXTRA and/or 12-EXTRA are both working.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far! Both the The Zondo and the Fulcrum Racing 3 sound interesting. It looks like both are also available in tubeless if I decide to go that route.

I've also seen some used options with DT240s hubs. I've always been curious about these hubs, although I'm currently leaning toward factory wheels.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
DT Swiss hubs are very good, and of course Campy/Fulcrum hubs are excellent.

Campy uses cup/cone/"loose" ball bearings on their mid-range and above wheels. Very durable, maintainable, and smooth spinning.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Campy uses cup/cone/"loose" ball bearings on their mid-range and above wheels. Very durable, maintainable, and smooth spinning.
This is exactly the reason why I'd go with the Fulcrum 3 over the Quattro, 5, or 7 which have a cheap cartridge style (not that all cartridge style bearings are equal); I'd personally rather have the cup/cone setup. Other highend hubs (Hope, DTSwiss, White) use cartridges, fwiw... but that's a different discussion entirely.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Zonda is a great wheelset
A hand built on Record Hubs woul also be great

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
Add another vote for the Zondas....work well from my experience.

·
Rain Man
319 Posts
I have set of 2004 Campy Eurus wheels that have probably less than 500miles on them.
I bought them on EBay years ago. I've ridden them a couple times and they are fantastic.
Here's the problem...it's damn near impossible to get a tire on and off the rim. I don't feel good about riding them because of this.
I'll be happy to sell them for $350 shipping included. I paid a whole lot more than this!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.