Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post here :)
I just bought this frame from ebay, the title said "Zullo - steel frame etc." so I was so excited by how it looks - I never saw such a steel frame before - that I didn't notice that the name is only engraved on the fork, but nowhere else on the frame.
I just realized that, and after a thorough inspection, there is only a serial number: 59031
I'm pretty sure this isn't a Zullo, but I'm not that mad, as it wasn't so expensive.
Plus, I'm still amazed how beautifull it is and how nicely built it is, so I would just like to ask if anyone knows what frame this is, what steel it's made of etc.
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Banned Sock Puppet
15,169 Posts
That is a beautiful frame! Did you look under the bottom bracket? There may be a clue there.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
That is a beautiful frame! Did you look under the bottom bracket? There may be a clue there.
It really is a beauty! It looks to be in great shape as well! You have a bike frame holder on your wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really is a beauty! It looks to be in great shape as well! You have a bike frame holder on your wall?

These are the seller's pics. I wish I had the space for that...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
These are the seller's pics. I wish I had the space for that...
I suspect that is a Zullo. You can email him, it’s on their website. I’m sure he will know immediately. Tiziano still paints frames.

Fabulous haul! That’s going to be a really fun build!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspect that is a Zullo. You can email him, it’s on their website. I’m sure he will know immediately. Tiziano still paints frames.

Fabulous haul! That’s going to be a really fun build!!

It's what I did! :-D
I hope they'll answer.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
It probably isn't that old. That company is still around and still makes steel frames. That paint job doesn't look like anything from the 80's, or even the early 90's. Too bad you don't know what the tube set is.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
It probably isn't that old. That company is still around and still makes steel frames. That paint job doesn't look like anything from the 80's, or even the early 90's. Too bad you don't know what the tube set is.
That paint job is what makes me think he’s got a real deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quality 80's frame, regardless. Is the BB threading English or Italian?
Haven't removed the BB, but I suppose it's Italian.
I wrote again to the seller and he swears he bought it in 2009 from a local Zullo reseller as Zullo frame. So if that is true, it's maybe a newer Columbus steel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my thought too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The great man himself answered :) He says it's impossible to remember all the frames he made in 40 years.
But he doesn't exclude the possibility. So I'll never know...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
The great man himself answered :) He says it's impossible to remember all the frames he made in 40 years.
Cool! But I am a little surprised he couldn’t say, maybe I give these high end frame makers godlike abilities more than is realistic.

Anyway, it’s real.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I'd bet the frame is less than 10 years old. There's a number of Italian bike manufacturers still out there and still making steel bikes (and aluminum and carbon). They will usually do custom geometry and custom paint at no extra cost. They're one-off frames that I think are very cool. My wife bought a Tommasini X-Fire frame over a year ago (Columbus XCR stainless steel tubing). We drove up to PA and the importer (Red Rose Imports) measured her -- it's a custom frame. The hardest part was choosing a paint job. They do this thing called retinado which is the old fashioned looking cross check spider web with faded paint. We're still waiting to buy a Dura Ace 12-speed di group.

That paint job on the Zullo looks like it was something someone ordered.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I'd bet the frame is less than 10 years old. There's a number of Italian bike manufacturers still out there and still making steel bikes (and aluminum and carbon). They will usually do custom geometry and custom paint at no extra cost. They're one-off frames that I think are very cool. My wife bought a Tommasini X-Fire frame over a year ago (Columbus XCR stainless steel tubing). We drove up to PA and the importer (Red Rose Imports) measured her -- it's a custom frame. The hardest part was choosing a paint job. They do this thing called retinado which is the old fashioned looking cross check spider web with faded paint. We're still waiting to buy a Dura Ace 12-speed di group.

Is that a cable guide on the downtube or a shifter mount?

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
Have you tried to contact the seller that the original owner bought it from? If still in business he may have kept records, or possibly remember the bike.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Those are shifter bosses on the bike in the OP.
Thanks! That’s what I thought. That makes this what? 40 years old?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Cool Info! I was hoping this was a unique frame :)

1 - 20 of 118 Posts