Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why, because it has downtube shifter bosses?
You mean there are new steel frames with shifter bosses? I don't know, as I don't like new bikes design in general, so I don't read about those, but I'd be interested to know about that specific aspect.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Why, because it has downtube shifter bosses?
Yes. No one would order a new high end custom frame with downtube friction shifting. The only reason those bosses are there is because modern indexed shifting didn’t exist when that frame was ordered.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I bought a steel Colnago frame 6 years ago new. Its got down tube shifter bosses and horizontal drop outs. My 1996 Merckx Corsa 01 has down tube shifter bosses.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
You mean there are new steel frames with shifter bosses? I don't know, as I don't like new bikes design in general, so I don't read about those, but I'd be interested to know about that specific aspect.
No. There are no new frames with downtube shifter bosses. Maybe some an odd outlier customer… But in general, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I bought a steel Colnago frame 6 years ago new. Its got down tube shifter bosses and horizontal drop outs. My 1996 Merckx Corsa 01 has down tube shifter bosses.
No way!!! Really! Why!!!???

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
No way!!! Really! Why!!!???

The Campy ergo stuff works just fine with down tube shifter bosses. They're just a little bit closer to the head tube. It has no impact on the functionality of the components. I do find horizontal drop outs a PITA compared to vertical ones though. With the Colnago -- some folks want to put down tube shifters on it, if you can believe that.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Yes. No one would order a new high end custom frame with downtube friction shifting. The only reason those bosses are there is because modern indexed shifting didn’t exist when that frame was ordered.
Dude, you're wrong. People do order frames with down tube shifter bosses, as pmf said those bosses don't limit the shifter one needs to use on the frame. I've a bike I had built about 6/7 years ago and it has down tube bosses.

Your knowledge of what is out there is limited to your interests, but the picture is larger than that. There are builders building all sorts of bikes, High End Bikes, and they are not all limited to "racing" bikes of one sort or another.
Just as everyone doesn't drive a mini van, all cyclists don't ride race bikes.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Dude, you're wrong. People do order frames with down tube shifter bosses, as pmf said those bosses don't limit the shifter one needs to use on the frame. I've a bike I had built about 6/7 years ago and it has down tube bosses.

Your knowledge of what is out there is limited to your interests, but the picture is larger than that. There are builders building all sorts of bikes, High End Bikes, and they are not all limited to "racing" bikes of one sort or another.
Just as everyone doesn't drive a mini van, all cyclists don't ride race bikes.
Not only am I wrong I’m shocked. Two years ago I spent countless hours looking at frames and bikes. I didn’t see a single one set up with downtube shifting that wasn’t old. I may have seen frames with bosses and didn’t notice?

I could see the lure of a vintage ride. I can’t imagine building up a modern frame with downtube friction shifting. Indexed shifting is the best thing to happen to bicycles since gears!!

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Not only am I wrong I’m shocked. Two years ago I spent countless hours looking at frames and bikes. I didn’t see a single one set up with downtube shifting that wasn’t old. I may have seen frames with bosses and didn’t notice?

I could see the lure of a vintage ride. I can’t imagine building up a modern frame with downtube friction shifting. Indexed shifting is the best thing to happen to bicycles since gears!!

1...Before there were integrated shift/brake levers there was indexed downtube shifters.
2...If the frame has downtube bosses it's just a matter of Dia-Compe Downtube Cable Stops w/ Adjustor – Velo Orange (velo-orange.com)

Hood Automotive lighting Amber Material property Bicycle part

·
Registered
5,355 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
PBL450 -- You are confused on what a down tube shifter is. It doesn't limit you to anything else component wise that more 'modern' bikes with the bosses a little further down the down tube have. Why would you be forced to use 1960's friction shifting if you have down tube shifters? 3 out of my 5 bikes have down tube shifters. They've all got Campy 11-speed ergo groups on them.

And maybe you're not old enough to remember the Simplex rear derailer. Came out in the 1970's. Indexed shifting! I remember thinking wow, this is great. Others didn't so much. And yeah, bike had down tube shifter bosses. I bought a Cannondale in 1992 that had indexed down tube shifters.

Vertical drop outs are a more significant change IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The Campy ergo stuff works just fine with down tube shifter bosses. They're just a little bit closer to the head tube. It has no impact on the functionality of the components. I do find horizontal drop outs a PITA compared to vertical ones though. With the Colnago -- some folks want to put down tube shifters on it, if you can believe that.
Do they look the same as the classical shifter bosses? Square shaped, and you use the typical adapter for STIs?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Yep. You can take any old frame and put modern components on it.

Older frames have 1" head tubes, but you can put a 1/8 spacer on them and use a modern stem.

That Colnago was first made in the early 1980's, but only for a couple of years because it was expensive compared to the Master. For Colnago collectors, a 1980's Arabesque is the holy grail. Colnago started making them again 6-7 years ago. They claim to have found a box of lugs from the 1980's -- enough to build 400 frames. I inherited some money 6 years ago, and saw it, thought it was a beautiful frame, and said what the hell. Its not going to be long before no one will be making this stuff anymore.

I found a guy selling one, in blue that I wanted in the UK. His dining room, not mine:

Easel Wood Bicycle fork Plant Bicycle frame

21 - 40 of 107 Posts