Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
You mean there are new steel frames with shifter bosses? I don't know, as I don't like new bikes design in general, so I don't read about those, but I'd be interested to know about that specific aspect.
I have searched and searched. There are a few really small niche frames with downtube shifter options but they are being set up with adapters to make them work with modern shifting tech. I looked at hundreds of bikes and frames... Just like my previous search but on a smaller scale. No one is making downtube shifting bikes. Yes, there are one-off weird frames with bosses but they aren’t being used for shifters, they are being converted to cable stops. I guess they work OK or manufacturers would abandon the practice? Why on earth wouldn’t you just use a frame made to properly handle cable stops? An adapter is always a fall-back option. No matter the application... It’s a half ass fix compared to a frame that actually works properly in the way it has been intended to do so? Adaptors suck by their very nature.

Why a fabricator would hedge their bets like this I have no idea. No one is equipping these with downtube shifters beyond some tiny micro faction of retro lovers. Integrated braking and shifting is such a monumental improvement, it has changed cycling forever for the better. It’s great that a rare few builders will accommodate the old person that wants newer tech downtube shifting. Now, to be clear, the ability to use downtube shifters is very different than actually using downtube shifters. You can use them, but who does? And why would you? Because it sucks...

Nostalgia can be wonderful! Museums are my absolute favorite places! But on a normal ride, I don’t want a Klee, I want a bike that embraces modernity and rides nicely, and that doesn’t weigh the same as a boat anchor.

So no. As I said. No one makes antiquated stuff beyond super micro niche frame makers and for all we know they are digging these frames up from the back walls of their warehouses from the early 90s.

For any real practical purposes, no... Downtube shifters look like the outhouse... and for the same reasons...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lombard

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I have searched and searched. There are a few really small niche frames with downtube shifter options but they are being set up with adapters to make them work with modern shifting tech. I looked at hundreds of bikes and frames... Just like my previous search but on a smaller scale. No one is making downtube shifting bikes. Yes, there are one-off weird frames with bosses but they aren’t being used for shifters, they are being converted to cable stops. I guess they work OK or manufacturers would abandon the practice? Why on earth wouldn’t you just use a frame made to properly handle cable stops? An adapter is always a fall-back option. No matter the application... It’s a half ass fix compared to a frame that actually works properly in the way it has been intended to do so? Adaptors suck by their very nature.

Why a fabricator would hedge their bets like this I have no idea. No one is equipping these with downtube shifters beyond some tiny micro faction of retro lovers. Integrated braking and shifting is such a monumental improvement, it has changed cycling forever for the better. It’s great that a rare few builders will accommodate the old person that wants newer tech downtube shifting. Now, to be clear, the ability to use downtube shifters is very different than actually using downtube shifters. You can use them, but who does? And why would you? Because it sucks...

Nostalgia can be wonderful! Museums are my absolute favorite places! But on a normal ride, I don’t want a Klee, I want a bike that embraces modernity and rides nicely, and that doesn’t weigh the same as a boat anchor.

So no. As I said. No one makes antiquated stuff beyond super micro niche frame makers and for all we know they are digging these frames up from the back walls of their warehouses from the early 90s.

For any real practical purposes, no... Downtube shifters look like the outhouse... and for the same reasons...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You live in a small world.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Yep, so do I, but I'm not of the opinion that anyone riding a bike different than what I ride is chasing a fools errand. Bikes are tools, and tools are to be used, and are built with a purpose.

Table saws, jig saws, chop saws, band saws, circular saws. All these power saws, purpose built for specific jobs, yet there is still a need for hand saws.

You have no need nor desire for down tube shifters, that's fine, pursue your interests. But there are others who enjoy or prefer them or have whatever reason for using them and that's fine too, let them enjoy their interest. After all, we're all cyclists.

But no, down tube shifters are of no interest to you so you consider them shit, or whatever you meant by comparing them to an outhouse. You seem to be confusing opinion with fact, not much different than those motorists who think that cyclists have no business on the road.

Like I said, you live in a small world.

·
Huge in Japan
471 Posts
It’s a half ass fix compared to a frame that actually works properly in the way it has been intended to do so? Adaptors suck by their very nature.
Adaptors suck by their very nature? For the life of me I can't imagine any rider being discerning enough to be able to tell the performance difference between a downtube shifter boss cable stop adapter and a dedicated cable stop. That's simply hyperbole.

My touring bike has downtube shifter boss cable stop adapters but is not downtube shifting equipped but rather it has bar end shifters. Touring bicycles tend to have redundant features and features that are adaptable for remedying breakdowns and various mechanical troubles that may come up while a distance from home. Those features tend to be of the type that allow for simple, inexpensive and readily available repairs. Bar end shifters are appropriate for a touring bike but if something failed and I couldn't readily get a replacement while away from home I have the ability to fall back on a downtube shifter and be back on the road.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Adaptors suck by their very nature? For the life of me I can't imagine any rider being discerning enough to be able to tell the performance difference between a downtube shifter boss cable stop adapter and a dedicated cable stop. That's simply hyperbole.

My touring bike has downtube shifter boss cable stop adapters but is not downtube shifting equipped but rather it has bar end shifters. Touring bicycles tend to have redundant features and features that are adaptable for remedying breakdowns and various mechanical troubles that may come up while a distance from home. Those features tend to be of the type that allow for simple, inexpensive and readily available repairs. Bar end shifters are appropriate for a touring bike but if something failed and I couldn't readily get a replacement while away from home I have the ability to fall back on a downtube shifter and be back on the road.
That makes good practical sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It wasn’t all that long ago that alpine stages in the grand tours were raced with a downtube shifter for the front chainrings. Saved weight.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The great man himself answered :) He says it's impossible to remember all the frames he made in 40 years.
But he doesn't exclude the possibility. So I'll never know...
Wouldn't the serial number be familiar to them?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just ask in the Classic and Vintage section of bikeforums.net.

You will not be able to post or link photos directly (10 post minimum) but you can create an album as a workaround.

I'm certain I've seen that diamond tubing before but can't for the life of me remember where.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts