Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been climbing a 5% grade 1 mile long stretch of highway with one leg pedal strokes with a 42-21 gear for the last couple of days, alternating right and left leg every other day. It is almost impossible to maintain a smooth spin and still form at times, so will it still be beneficial in any measure or am I just wasting my time?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
ru1-2cycle said:
I have been climbing a 5% grade 1 mile long stretch of highway with one leg pedal strokes with a 42-21 gear for the last couple of days, alternating right and left leg every other day. It is almost impossible to maintain a smooth spin and still form at times, so will it still be beneficial in any measure or am I just wasting my time?
Probably not worth your while. My anecdotal experience is that a smooth spin comes from lots of high cadence pedaling.

Scientifically, you're asking muscles that don't usually do much in the pedalstroke to assume important tasks, like lifting up your legs. My guess is that once you pedal with both legs, those muscles will return to relative passivity as larger muscles take over again.

Silas

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Silas. I appreciate your input. I had a "hunch" feeling that was the case, and it feels good to confirm it with other road cyclists. Thank you again for your time.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
. . . but, what you will do is strengthen those muscles that don't often get very stressed, so that maybe you will make them stronger and more available for use.
although I don't think it's a huge deal, worthy of spending eons of time on. I've never done them, and don't know a whole lot of people who do.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bill.

bill said:
. . . but, what you will do is strengthen those muscles that don't often get very stressed, so that maybe you will make them stronger and more available for use.
although I don't think it's a huge deal, worthy of spending eons of time on. I've never done them, and don't know a whole lot of people who do.
Agree.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Do it on the flats

ru1-2cycle said:
One legged drills are best done on the flats. Whether they are hugely helpful is open to question because some people have developed a good pedal stroke as suggested by SilasCL: spinning. Doing these drills on an uphill does indeed grossly emphasize muscles that you won't use much and prevents a smooth stroke.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

Kerry Irons said:
One legged drills are best done on the flats. Whether they are hugely helpful is open to question because some people have developed a good pedal stroke as suggested by SilasCL: spinning. Doing these drills on an uphill does indeed grossly emphasize muscles that you won't use much and prevents a smooth stroke.
It did feel as a show off (and silly) type of drill. I tried it after watching an orthopedic MD acquantaince of mine doing it on his fancy carbon Giant. I agree with your perspective and thank you for the wise advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts