Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
That blows.

Whenever I ship expensive stuff I video record myself packing it to prove there was no damage prior to shipment. That way the other side can't levy blame upon me.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
With international flights it's hard to tell if the problem is with the Airlines or TSA. In many major cities TSA does nothing to replace bike luggage items in a common sense manner nor will they ensure that bike luggage is properly closed. Always avoid international flights to the US that do not take you directly to your destination airport

Airline travel has become a third world experience almost everywhere. New Yorks LaGuardia is about the worst--no matter what airline you are flying. Never take a bike through that airport on an international flight.
this popped up on FB. Guy travels from Tokyo to LA. Bike box goes missing for 3 days, they deliver it at 2am! He opens it to find his race bike for a race in Minessota next week is toast. https://www.facebook.com/kyosuke.takei.5/posts/994387053994042

View attachment 314551

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would never take a bike along on an passenger airline flight. Those guys can destroy an anvil. I would use one of the bike shipping services. It is probably cheaper that way anyhow.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've had TSA inspect my regular luggage and repack it so that my new dress shoes were smashed in on the heel. They actually took my shoes out of the sleeves and then didn't put them back where they were. Not sure what happened to common decency.

I have to say, it was only a pair of shoes and not something as precious as a bike!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I would never take a bike along on an passenger airline flight. Those guys can destroy an anvil. I would use one of the bike shipping services. It is probably cheaper that way anyhow.
What are good bike shipping services? I'm interested, in case I ever get the chance to go on a bike tour in the Alps...

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Nowhere in the quoted post does it say the bike was in a box.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Are there insurance policies that guarantee full replacement value and full rental on-site? Sure, my Colnago or my Stradivarius might bite the big one but, heck..

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Maybe you are right, but I still don't see a hard case. A cardboard box yes.

And this lost in translation quote
You pack the frame inside this box ?
16 hrs · Like · 1
Kyosuke Takei
Kyosuke Takei Yes.
And it was damaged along with the hard case put a hard case in this box.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe you are right, but I still don't see a hard case. A cardboard box yes.

And this lost in translation quote
Well you try writing the same thing in 日本語、多分出来ないと思います。
Is your middle name Thomas? No pic but I believe he had the case inside the box as he stated. Best thing is he will be riding in anger on the streets of Minneapolis this week.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What are good bike shipping services? I'm interested, in case I ever get the chance to go on a bike tour in the Alps...
Going to Europe, it is WAAAAY more expensive to ship your bike than to take on the plane. Rough number = $800+ round-trip. I've checked Luggage Forward and ShipBikes.com and several others all are about the same and really spendy.

We took our bikes to Mallorca this Spring on Lufthansa. Soft cases from Pika Packworks. Didn't have to pay on the outbound leg (through Frankfurt), so even cheaper!

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I go to Italy in the late spring / early summer and always pay $150 each way for my bike on Delta (Usually land in Venice). Not a chance of shipping it for twice that price.

The trick is to pick your flight to avoid transferring in the traditional "don't give a sh!t" labor markets (think NYC, Chicago, and LA). NYC is likely the most famous for trashing bikes by ensuring that the cases are not latched or zipped up after inspection.

Good travel agents are typically a good resource regarding which airports to avoid transferring with bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts