Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/9465.0.html

After months or speculation, they finally unveiled the new domestic team.

"The team has also partnered with Easton Sports for the design and fabrication of United Bicycles, L.L.C., a separate company and brand. Team bikes will feature Easton scandium tubing and carbon seat and chainstays. Easton will also provide forks, wheels, stems, seat posts, handlebars and bar tape. Shimano, the team's only other bike-component sponsor, provided the drivetrain and other components."

Iv never even heard of united bicycles. but the bike looks amazing anyways, and i really dig the kits.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Let's try to be the All American Team...

You really like the kits? Ugh. "Let's try to be the All American Team..." but they are not an all American Team!!!

$6000 for a replica bike. :rolleyes: Frankie, GET REAL!

Good to see that Toyota is putting in the money. I bet after a year, they will be known as the "Toyota" Cycling Team. Don't see the other parts of the business plan working.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
hambinator said:
Iv never even heard of united bicycles. but the bike looks amazing anyways, and i really dig the kits.
United bicycles didn't exist until this team came around, and is a result of their sponsorship with Easton. I wonder who welds them up for them?

Personally, I thought the bike looked OK, but the paint job looked like a backyard, rattlecan quality. It may be decent paint, but the design looks really amateur.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
At the costs of the bikes, I would expect them to be custom made.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Nah...

MikeBiker said:
At the costs of the bikes, I would expect them to be custom made.
Nah, that would be cheap for a really nice custom bike don't you think?

There are a lot of stock bikes out there that are astronomically higher than $6k. DeRosa comes to mind. Along with Colnago, Bianchi, Ridley, Trek, and others. $6k isn't much for a custom bike, considering some frames can cost you that much.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
magnolialover said:
Nah, that would be cheap for a really nice custom bike don't you think?

There are a lot of stock bikes out there that are astronomically higher than $6k. DeRosa comes to mind. Along with Colnago, Bianchi, Ridley, Trek, and others. $6k isn't much for a custom bike, considering some frames can cost you that much.
It's aluminum.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
In person

beaker said:
United bicycles didn't exist until this team came around, and is a result of their sponsorship with Easton. I wonder who welds them up for them?

Personally, I thought the bike looked OK, but the paint job looked like a backyard, rattlecan quality. It may be decent paint, but the design looks really amateur.
The paint looks good. I got a look at Cruz's bike last weekend course the logos were covered with tape. Nice build up to componets and wheels. That said 6000 seems a lot for a bike custome or not esp a race bike which I consider despoable.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
And?

MikeBiker said:
It's aluminum.
Isn't it Scandium? If so, it's actually harder to work with Scandium than it is aluminum, and also scandium is more expensive to work with because there is less of it, and the dies and tooling used to produce the tubing are what we would call limited, and more expensive because there is less of them. Anyway, plus there are the tricky bits and pieces of the carbon stays and such, not exactly rocket science true, but still a little tricky.

I'm sure that there are scandium bikes out there, that are just as expensive.

·
Registered
949 Posts
How about updating the UNITED PRO website...???

Here is the link
http://www.unitedprocycling.com/

But of course they haven't updated the site... So all you can see is an image of a white sheet over their new 6k ride, and a date of today which to me indicates that they should reveal the picture of the bike... But then again, I work for a web development company, if I worked for a cycling team I'd most likely forget to update a marketing website too.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Are you kidding me? $6,000 for that?!?! LMAO.
Oh, wait, $7,000 for the Chris Wherry bike. What a bargain!

Give me a break. That bike should be priced at about $4,000 TOPS.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i agree, the bike looks like um butt ugly. Don't get me wrong, i would ride the hell out of it if it was free and i was getting paid. Scandium-most carbonfiber bikes don't even cost that much. Custom made?? Most people wouldn't even know where to start to get a bike custom made. like measuring, what geometry they like etc.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Let's see how they...

do. I wish them all the luck in the world, but I'm thinking these guys are taking a HUGE gamble. Did you guys see thier team truck on cyclingnews?! Holy smoly! Is it me or does it seem like Toyota is probably the only paying sponsor? I mean Easton gave them the tubeing etc, shimano the components, United is thier brand name, so that only leaves Toyota. When you really think about it though, the guys philosophy is right on, you lose a sponsor and the team won't be sunk, like some others have been in the past. The Disco team is like this am I not correct? There are a group of guys who "own" the team, but the team name is the sponsors of the team. Now unlike Disco, Healthnet, or whomever, these guys really have no track record. I mean the riders do themselves, but the team as a whole doesn't. I think the guy is being a little cocky with his take it or leave it attitude toward sponsors, but hey, he's got balls for sure.
I have to agree with comments on the bike though, plain jane, the kits seem kinda dull also. Oh well, maybe they won't the focus to be on the riders looks themselves!

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Mosovich said:
do. I wish them all the luck in the world, but I'm thinking these guys are taking a HUGE gamble. Did you guys see thier team truck on cyclingnews?! Holy smoly! Is it me or does it seem like Toyota is probably the only paying sponsor? I mean Easton gave them the tubeing etc, shimano the components, United is thier brand name, so that only leaves Toyota. When you really think about it though, the guys philosophy is right on, you lose a sponsor and the team won't be sunk, like some others have been in the past. The Disco team is like this am I not correct? There are a group of guys who "own" the team, but the team name is the sponsors of the team. Now unlike Disco, Healthnet, or whomever, these guys really have no track record. I mean the riders do themselves, but the team as a whole doesn't. I think the guy is being a little cocky with his take it or leave it attitude toward sponsors, but hey, he's got balls for sure.
I have to agree with comments on the bike though, plain jane, the kits seem kinda dull also. Oh well, maybe they won't the focus to be on the riders looks themselves!
The kit looks dull? They look like Captian america for god stakes.

The complete list of sponsors:
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.
Bicycling Magazine
Cendant Hotel Group
Champion System
Easton Sports, Inc.
OS Performance Nutrition
Shimano, Inc.
SockGuy
Tifosi Optics™, Inc.
United Bicycles, L.L.C.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Geez guys...This team is coming together incredibly quickly for a start up operation of it's scale and ambitions. They've probably been busting butt just to get sponsors lined up, personnel signed on and the basics sorted, leaving the finer details to be worked out later. I doubt if all the team bikes had even been built up till shortly before their first training ride/team orientation and my guess is that by mid-season, the bikes and operation as a whole will look significantly more polished and upscale.
As for who would pay that kind of money for a United custom racing bike, how about someone that's looking for some minor way to help support the team financially and by doing so, gets to own a pretty unique and potentially even historically significant ride in the bargain? What it looks like to me is a sort of commercial grassroots fundraising program with a waaay kewl souvenier to strut around on and whole a lot more shizzle than a T shirt & team logo water bottle.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I wasn't busting...

on them. Hey, these guys are taking great risk to go with this thing and my hat's off to them. Obviously it works in Spain for Eusketel, they are pretty much run the same way as United and look at them. I'd say they've been a success with thier venture. Wouldn't be great if this team became a dominate force to be delt with on the domestic side and then maybe in a few years spread across the pond? That would be rocking! I was just making a general comment. I would've thought though they would've tried to pick up a bike sponsorship from an American co. like Cannondale or some other brand.

I say go get'm boys!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bets for how long the team lasts before going belly up?

The contract is for one year with Toyota...

·
Banned
608 Posts
FTF said:
The kit looks dull? They look like Captian america for god stakes.
That kit is fugly. It looks like it was designed by some jingoistic American with no sense of style.

Maybe they can get Trey Parker and Matt Stone to write them a theme song. "Team United! Comin' again to save the motherf*ing day, yeah!"

·
Registered
91 Posts
This wasn't the reaction I expected from the cycling scene

The website is www.toyota-united.com - it's an interesting setup and I think someone had to try it at some point here in the US, there are a lot of cyclists and a lot of people keen on growing the sport in the US right now...

as for the whole setup, I suppose the least anyone can do is to get the free membership, you get news and facts, and at least you are in a moderate way showing the sponsors that you are interested and you are being exposed to their product. From there on, 25$ doesn't sound so bad, especially if you have the respect for guys like Wherry and Dominguez, to chip in a little and keep them going and racing, and maybe even expand the program. I do find the whole captain America thing odd however, especially with the two standouts that I see making a breakout are New Zealander Heath Blackgrove and the Haedo, from Argentina.

As for the Toyota sponsorship, the website states that it is a "multi-year deal." Hey, they got a motorcoach...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts