Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's that time of year again where our VP sends us countless emails asking us to give to the United Way. So far I haven't been confronted by my boss. One year my boss said point blank that we all had to contribute something or they (and in turn suggesting we) would be in trouble or that it would negatively affect our jobs. I pledged $5 one time donation and never paid up. I hate the United Way for using tactics like this and I also think their overhead is way too high so I tend to give local and bypass the middleman.

So in closing...F8ck you United Way.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I always chose and select the local charities I want to support or the larger ones that I know do some good around disasters like Katrina and Haiti. The bullying tactics of United Way drives me nuts. I've never donated a dime to them. On that same note, I always hate that every international flight I take ends up with a United Nations envelope on lap "to save the kids". Yeah right, .99 to the bureacracy, 1/2 of one cent to the local warlord, and 1/2 cent to the kids food thingy. I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There has to be some kickback to the bosses in some way or form that is unknown. My main office is also very much into everyone giving. I'm sure that someone is profiting on the United Way side too.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooben said:
There has to be some kickback to the bosses in some way or form that is unknown. My main office is also very much into everyone giving. I'm sure that someone is profiting on the United Way side too.
Oh I know there is something or they wouldn't push so hard. I've heard rumors of cash bonuses even.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Hooben said:
Yeah, it's pretty well "known" that they're giving something to the supervisors. I can't stand that charity, I'm never giving a penny to those jerks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Red Cross is the same way - their overhead is crazy.

I wish I could run a non-profit that's $200 million in the hole and collect $500k a year and a 65k signing bonus.

Donate to the Salvation Army and call it a day. Their workers live pretty much at the poverty line.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Why do you hate children?

:p

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Henry Porter said:
Why did you change your avatar? Now I've got to change my title.
Change is good. Maybe you could change to Phil Ken Sebben?

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
PDex said:
Change is good. Maybe you could change to Phil Ken Sebben?
I have no idea who that is.

Gonna stick with Woodrow now that Gus is gone. Only makes sense. Now I've got to find your lost true love and a ***** you once entertained.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
They did the same at Disney, except it was in the form of a "if "X" percentage of your group donates you get somethingorother that I can't remember...

After hearing the horror stories of United Way in the past, I gave 5 bucks one time and then gave a 20 a week donation to a local charity. Funny that this seems to be such a huge issue.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Henry Porter said:
Yeah, it's pretty well "known" that they're giving something to the supervisors. I can't stand that charity, I'm never giving a penny to those jerks.
Nah. They just get a higher pressure version of what you get, and it rolls downhill. Many Corps. tie bonuses in part to the ability to get the sheep loaded into the boat, but that's not UW's money.

Ultimately, the game UW plays is a d!ck-stretching match between the local CEO's. It all goes downhill from there.

I despise the extortion, and haven't given in the last 20 years, save once or twice when I was working hard, doing well, and hadn't found my way to contributing closer to home.

When they've been particular bastids about it, I've made cash donations directly to a UW-member agency that I didn't despise, and presented a copy of the tax chit in what was meant to be the contribution envelope.

BTW, the implied threats are hollow. If you are a valuable employee, this will have no bearing on your engagement with the company. If you aren't they'll find another excuse anyway.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Our work does the same; "Goal of 100% participation". Yeah right. Bite my azz. There IS a charitable foundation at work for employees of the system. I give to that.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
I had a friend in Pittsburgh--a fellow researcher who knew what he was doing--who had made it his life's work to discredit the UW...I'm not sure what prompted it, but he dug up some ugly, ugly things, much uglier than the stuff mentioned in this thread. There will one day be a shocking scandal, but it won't come to light until some really powerful folks aren't where they are anymore.

There are lots of good charities out there; no need to give to a fake one that's really a for-profit company with corporate ethics that would make Gordon Gekko blush.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
There are no kickbacks, there are just higher and higher expectations as you go up the chain. I'm sadly on the "leaner" side, I'm supposed to deliver the heads.

When I worked at Kodak every manager had to sit down with employees and tell them that their raises depended on donations. I was a young pup, and I was offended. But I also liked getting a raise. This though was in a city where the two major employers had a knock down drag out over who could raise the most.

Now, they just bug me to death with luncheons and recognitions and publications. It got so bad one year that I told them if they didn't stop recognizing me that I would stop giving.

I have always donated though, because they saved my mother during a time of extreme family discord. They might be easy to hate, but they do a lot of good work.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I used to be a weekly contributor to them a long time ago. I gave for many years...a union thing but they seemed to be a decent organization. Wound up laid off and while waiting for my first unemployment check I went to them hoping to get some help, food etc...2 babies and wife was working part time...
They told me I didn't qualify...I asked them why a the people in their commercials qualified but I didnt'. They never answered just said I did not qualify.

F em...I'd never give them a dime.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
"One year my boss said point blank that we all had to contribute something or they (and in turn suggesting we) would be in trouble or that it would negatively affect our jobs."

Did you visit HR with this demand?

If HR does nothing, I suggest you stick a spork in the guy's eye.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
This is real?

I've never had a manager or employer force me to give anything. Or, maybe they do and I have no idea wtf they are talking about.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
United Way is a touchy topic on the Tucson area these days. Years ago they ruffled feathers here when they openly sided with Boy Scouts of America when BSA came out with their homophobic ideology. Then the leadership of the local United Way chapter came under scrutiny when all sorts of allegations of financial inpropriety came out....basically, the leaders were accused of pocketing some of the donated funds and a number of them resigned their positions. So between the anti-gay thing and pocketing donations, a lot of folks here (myself included) won't give them a cent. And as has already been mentioned here, the cost of United Way's overhead is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts