Teammates Robert Förster (4th) and Karl Menzies (5th) round out top 5

Arlington, VA - Hilton Clarke (AUS) and Adrian Hegyvary (USA) took first and third place respectively in The Air Force Cycling Classic's Clarendon Cup earlier today, continuing the Team's wave of dominant performances on the East Coast during the past two months. Team Exergy's Carlos Alzate finished second on the hot late spring afternoon in suburban Washington, DC, joining Clarke and Hegyvary on the podium. Team UnitedHealthcare's Robert Förster (GER) finished fourth and Karl Menzies (AUS) took fifth, rounding out the race's top five finishers.

Clarke, who has been outstanding of late, marked his first anniversary with the Team today by securing his second Clarendon Cup victory. The win made it two in a row at the opening race for the Air Force Cycling Classic weekend for the speedster from Australia who now resides in Santa Monica, California.

Under the direction of General Manager and Directeur Sportif, Mike Tamayo, the Team executed its signature "eight men riding together" strategy to near perfection throughout the race. Tamayo commented, "The guys showed great teamwork out there again today. They were able to lap the field early and take control of the race, showing once again that when eight guys ride together, good things happen. It's great to see a guy like Adrian who has been a workhorse for us all year, get on the podium today with Hilton. And hats off to Team Exergy, too. They put in a great effort and were outstanding this afternoon."

Hegyvary said, "The guys rode brilliantly today. For me, I was just covering moves and doing whatever it took to keep us in position to be there at the end. I was simply trying to do as much as I could in the final laps to get Hilton in position for the sprint."

Hegyvary continued, "We were able to ride the front of the race all day and with about 30km to go, Andrew (Pinfold) came off the front and I went on the front with Boy (Van Poppel) and Jonny (Clarke), who had been there all day. I cannot begin to tell you how hard this group works for one another. We had a good strategy going in and we stayed focused on making sure we're all doing what we need to do to put someone on the podium. Like Mike (Tamayo) said, when you stay together and ride as a unit, good things happen."

Reflecting on his victory today, Hilton Clarke, stated, "When we first broke away, Adrian was the strongest and he never missed a beat. The way Adrian and the rest of the team rode today was incredible. Personally, it's my one-year anniversary and getting back-to-back wins at the Clarendon Cup is great. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and I'm excited to finish out the weekend with my Teammates here in Virginia before we head to Minnesota for the Nature Valley Grand Prix."

Photo: Jonathan Devich/epicimages.us