Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I like the idea of having a long frame pump with me when I go out and ride, but I'd like to get one that fits on both of my 56cm Cervelo One, and my 54cm Cannondale Six 13. I bought one from Mountain Coop Equipment, and it fits snugly on my Cervelo (aero down tube), but it's almost an inch too short on my cannondale. Should I try and size up and would that help??

Thanks,

Ming

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use a compact pump that mounts alongside a bottle cage but ... have you tried your pump in the rear triangle? It might mount parallel to your top tube on one, and in the rear triangle somewhere on the other one. Depends on the geometry of your bikes. You could always use velcro straps to hang it under the longer top tube if it doesn't work out. Personally, though I have only one bike a present, I like the idea of gear for each bike regardless of the price of doing so, with maybe a wedge that swaps nicely between the two for flat fix stuff. Looking at a Rivendale "burrito" for the latter.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zaurusman said:
I use a compact pump that mounts alongside a bottle cage but ... have you tried your pump in the rear triangle? It might mount parallel to your top tube on one, and in the rear triangle somewhere on the other one. Depends on the geometry of your bikes. You could always use velcro straps to hang it under the longer top tube if it doesn't work out. Personally, though I have only one bike a present, I like the idea of gear for each bike regardless of the price of doing so, with maybe a wedge that swaps nicely between the two for flat fix stuff. Looking at a Rivendale "burrito" for the latter.
I just looked at the bike again, the I don't thikn there is any room in the rear triangle of the Six 13. The tire is pratically touching the seat tube LOL.

If I can't get a frame pump that fits on both bikes, I guess I"ll just pick up another one. After all, they are only $20ish.

Cheers,

Ming

·
Registered
149 Posts
macming said:
I just looked at the bike again, the I don't thikn there is any room in the rear triangle of the Six 13. The tire is pratically touching the seat tube LOL.

If I can't get a frame pump that fits on both bikes, I guess I"ll just pick up another one. After all, they are only $20ish.

Cheers,

Ming
I have see people run the frame pump up their seat stays. You jam one end of the pump in the corner where the seat stay meets the seat tube and depending on the geometry of the bike the other end can be wedged into the corner formed by the seat stay and chain stay (no chain side obviously) or jamed on to the end of your quick release lever.

I have never tried either technique myself always seems to be asking for trouble if the pump moved. I personally use a mini-pump (many-pumps) next to my drink bottle. On the positive side a mini-pump give you a great arm workout everytime you use it.;)

Chris

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
yea, i mean, is it even possible to reasonably put out 100psi with a mini-pump? mine gets real difficult after 50psi or so. 230mm pump we are talking here. dumb buy? i figure i can use it to pump my tire "enough" until i get to a servo where i can use my $3 valve adaptor..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Velcro straps

Go to the craft store and buy a foot of velcro rug and six inches of matching hooks. Get some E700 glue goop while you are there, and some soft craft foam sheets. I used to pay a lot more for that foam when it was called "Pro Grip", it's the same stuff.

What I just did 3 days ago:

1) Glue two little foam squares on to the pump body- protects your paint, but mostly gives something squishy to get a tight rattle-free rig

2) Wrap the velcro around your top tube, to figure out how long to cut everything.

3) Glue the hooks the proper way, let dry overnight.

Maybe get 18 inches of velcro.. I screwed up the first band before I got two beauties. Now I can put my frame pump on anything!

Oh, you could also just tape it on with electrical tape.

'meat

ps- I have a crank brothers mini- it fits in a micro bag, or jersey pocket (even sideways.) It will get you enough to limp home on. Most rides, it's what I take.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
wankski said:
yea, i mean, is it even possible to reasonably put out 100psi with a mini-pump? mine gets real difficult after 50psi or so. 230mm pump we are talking here. dumb buy? i figure i can use it to pump my tire "enough" until i get to a servo where i can use my $3 valve adaptor..
Thats why i put the pocket rocket master blaster on here. i've tried the zefel hpx, blackburn airstick and the performance hurricane. the pocket rocket is the only that will get the tire to floor pump pressure. the zefel will get hot, the air stick will leak or you'll tear the stem off, the hurricane will work only once after that the rubber gasket in the head will leak and be unable to hold pressure. the master blaster is light, cheap and will last at least 2 seasons, at least so far. after that a frame pump is the answer. i have a road master blaster and a zefal both sized for indivual frames.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris Oz said:
I have see people run the frame pump up their seat stays. You jam one end of the pump in the corner where the seat stay meets the seat tube and depending on the geometry of the bike the other end can be wedged into the corner formed by the seat stay and chain stay (no chain side obviously) or jamed on to the end of your quick release lever.

I have never tried either technique myself always seems to be asking for trouble if the pump moved. I personally use a mini-pump (many-pumps) next to my drink bottle. On the positive side a mini-pump give you a great arm workout everytime you use it.;)

Chris
Here is a picture of my rear stay, I don't think there is that much room in there for a pump :(

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For all that are using a mini pump beside their waterbottle, how do you make sure the pump does not scratch your paint?? I'm afraid to put too much abrasion in the carbon fiber. If it was an aluminum bike, I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Thanks,

Ming

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Did you try putting the pump in vertically, i.e., in front of the seat tube? I've got a pump that's borderline too short to mount "conventionally" below the top tube between head/seat tubes, but it's perfectly snug with one end on the bottom bracket shell and the other end in the seat/top tube junction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts