Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just like the little brown thing in your avatar.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Ok, here I am minding my own business at work. The wife reminds me to pick up something from my kid'd doctor. Cool, its an unseasonable 60 something here in midwest and the bike is in the car. I take the opportunity to just take the bike, run the errand, in my work clothes, on the bike. However....

<whooop whooop whooop>
NO HELMET
<whooop whooop whooop>

I, like most riders trying to set a good example, and for my own safety almost always wear a helmet. Unless Im on some kind of MUT or rail-trail, I will always wear one. But today, it wasn't in the car, but I went anyway. Of course, I rode maybe 3/4 of a mile when I heard someone in a passing car, and Im thinking it was something about a helmet. Thats all fine, there is always someone yelling something. I was just thinking about helmet etiquette when all of a sudden there was a Jaguar (the car) about 2 inches in front of my bumper to which I had to make quite the dramatic move to avoid.

Fine fine... you know, Im not trying to get into a big helmet debate. People tend to get all pissy and it will undoubtedly turn into a flame war and anyway... to my point.

I almost ALWAYS ride with a helmet. How come every time I set foot on the road on my roadbike... without a helmet... I have these near death incidents that remind me why I wear a helmet? The last time I tried to ride without a helmet... I was just riding back and forth on my street, and I got maybe 1/2 mile, and turned around and my front wheel slipped out from under me on one of those painted center lines... what the hell? Is God the universal helmet police? Is it some kind of universal reminder... who knows...

I just know its spooky.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Maybe?

Maybe you notice these so-called near death experiences more when you're not wearing a helmet?? Hmm? Possibly? If you didn't fall down though, in my opinion, not nearly a near death experience at all. Anyway, I've personally known a few people in the last couple of years that have lost their lives while riding, and every single one of them was wearing a helmet, but when a car essentially cracks you in half, a helmet really doesn't matter.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
paint said:
I just like the little brown thing in your avatar.
ill have you know thats danger mouse and penfield

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yarble said:
ill have you know thats danger mouse and penfield
Hush or I'll sick the weiner dog on you.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I hear ya mags...

magnolialover said:
Maybe you notice these so-called near death experiences more when you're not wearing a helmet?? Hmm? Possibly? If you didn't fall down though, in my opinion, not nearly a near death experience at all. Anyway, I've personally known a few people in the last couple of years that have lost their lives while riding, and every single one of them was wearing a helmet, but when a car essentially cracks you in half, a helmet really doesn't matter.
Perhaps, but for the most part, my rides are generally incident free. And I hit the deck on the center line incident, and the few times I had to bail in the last few years, yeah, I've had a helmet. I think incidents are expected in cycling but relatively rare. However, it just seems to me that any time I don't wear a helmet, incidents, or near incidences happen.

Just seems peculiar to me. Not that Im trying to force helmets onto anyone, Im just saying, something is fishy.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
My take on it

After years of reading and hearing about various bike accidents, it seems like a lot of them occur when cars are pulling out of driveways, on the kind of road obstructions/defects that you find near housing developments (sewer grates, slick painted lines, etc.) and where there is a lot of traffic generally. If you think about it, those short, casual rides where you are likely not to wear a helmet because "it's just down the block" or some other excuse, are the ones that take place in the most dangerous zones. A lot more people seem to have accidents in the places where you were riding without a helmet than on the kind of long, rural rides where you never would think about going out without your helmet.

I have gone without a helmet a few times. But, since I was hit by a car on November 4, I NEVER ride anywhere, even in my driveway, without a helmet. I was hit from behind at a very slow speed (I was just starting from a stop at a red light). I had no major injuries, except for a broken tooth. The next morning, I felt the side of my helmet and it was rough from having hit the ground. Then I looked inside and it had multiple breaks. I shudder to think what would have happened to my head it I had not been wearing that helmet on what I had thought was a relatively minor, low impact crash.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
sorry to hear that man

I didn't know that Mark. That sucks. Did the bike make it out alright? So did the guy stop, and did he turn all shades of green when he found out you were of the legal persuasion?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
MarkS said:
I have gone without a helmet a few times. But, since I was hit by a car on November 4, I NEVER ride anywhere, even in my driveway, without a helmet. I was hit from behind at a very slow speed (I was just starting from a stop at a red light). I had no major injuries, except for a broken tooth. The next morning, I felt the side of my helmet and it was rough from having hit the ground. Then I looked inside and it had multiple breaks. I shudder to think what would have happened to my head it I had not been wearing that helmet on what I had thought was a relatively minor, low impact crash.
Glad to hear you made it out alive. That tooth should have been worth 10 grand or so. I wear a helmet 99% of the time. The streets are getting way too congested out here. the lat time that happened I moved. I can' t keep moving farther out in the desert. People suck.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
My accident

vol245 and funknuggets

I haven't posted much about my accident because I still am dealing with the insurance company for the guy that hit me. Here are some basic details:

I was riding home from work on a Friday evening. The driver hit me from behind -- I saw nothing -- all I know is that I was riding along, felt something shove or hit my bike from behind and I was on the ground. The driver did stop and came back to see how I was (if he had not stopped there is no way that I ever would have been able to identify him). He was very courteous and concerned even before he found out what I do for a living. His insurance company also has been very attentive. I had virtually no damage to my bike other than the wheels' needing to be trued and some other adjustments. It would figure that the trashed helmet was my most expensive (Giro Atmos). I left the bike and helmet at my LBS -- the insurance company inspected them within a few days and immediately issued a check to the LBS for the cost of the repairs and a new Atmos helmet. I had some nasty bruises on my left side, including swelling on my hip that took about a month to subside. The tooth was the biggest problem -- I had had a repair to the tooth several years ago; the impact dislodged the repair. It cost over $1,300 to repair the tooth (and two very painful visits to the dentist's office).

I don't want to discuss my settlement position or strategy in a public forum. But, the insurance company has been reasonable with me to date and I plan to be reasonable in return. I have to say that the facts that the driver was as concerned as he was (he clearly just misjudged how close he was to me) and that the insurance company has been attentive will work in their favor.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You are lucky it has gone so smoothly and I'm sure you are very aware of that. I wonder if it has to do with your livelihood? Out here there are too many that don't have insurance. I was kidding about the $10 grand for a tooth. I really find massive payouts sickening although it is hard to put a dollar value on pain and suffering. Two painful dentist visits should be worth something.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
MarkS said:
vol245 and funknuggets

I haven't posted much about my accident because I still am dealing with the insurance company for the guy that hit me. Here are some basic details:

I was riding home from work on a Friday evening. The driver hit me from behind -- I saw nothing -- all I know is that I was riding along, felt something shove or hit my bike from behind and I was on the ground. The driver did stop and came back to see how I was (if he had not stopped there is no way that I ever would have been able to identify him). He was very courteous and concerned even before he found out what I do for a living. His insurance company also has been very attentive. I had virtually no damage to my bike other than the wheels' needing to be trued and some other adjustments. It would figure that the trashed helmet was my most expensive (Giro Atmos). I left the bike and helmet at my LBS -- the insurance company inspected them within a few days and immediately issued a check to the LBS for the cost of the repairs and a new Atmos helmet. I had some nasty bruises on my left side, including swelling on my hip that took about a month to subside. The tooth was the biggest problem -- I had had a repair to the tooth several years ago; the impact dislodged the repair. It cost over $1,300 to repair the tooth (and two very painful visits to the dentist's office).

I don't want to discuss my settlement position or strategy in a public forum. But, the insurance company has been reasonable with me to date and I plan to be reasonable in return. I have to say that the facts that the driver was as concerned as he was (he clearly just misjudged how close he was to me) and that the insurance company has been attentive will work in their favor.
Man, that sucks. Rear ending a lawyer with your car. Definitely not the best move. Glad to hear things are looking up.

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
A year and a half ago I jumped on my bike to go get my mail two and 1/2 miles away. That's all I was going to do. It was a warm afternoon, and I left my helmet behind.

I got my mail, and on my way back I got hit by a car, which immediately peeled out and away, turning the accident into a hit-and-run. I woke up in the hospital emergency room and luckily fully recovered.

Never left for a ride without my helmet since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts