Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the bike I'll be riding in my grand return to 'cross after many years....

Of course it will have 'cross tires and ditching the cage..
Will also run egg beaters or candys..not sure which yet...
I also have a Kinesis crosslight fork just sitting here doing nothing....I might just put on to save a bit of weight too

· lung lacking loser
270 Posts
toddre said:
Yeah when I get around to it I may see what the aluminum fork feels like...
Thanks for the compliment
It will probably be closer to 1/2 to 3/4 lbs depending on how long your steerer is. My bike came with an aluminum fork, and I don't really have any complaints. I've thought about upgrading, but I don't want to spend $300-400 bucks on a high end fork, and the mid range carbon just doesn't sound like it offers that big of a difference in ride quality from what I've read. Seems I like I would be better off investing in tubies instead (which is what I am doing).

· Registered
5,270 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
376g uncut weight difference, which should climb as the steerer gets shorter.
(FWIW 376g = .84lb)

But shouldn't the difference between cut forks be slightly less? (By cutting the forks, you are cutting off some of the weight difference.)

In any event, it would be taking a little less than a pound off the bike. Worth doing if the lighter fork is already in one's possession IMO. If you hate the ride, you can always go back.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
pretender said:
But shouldn't the difference between cut forks be slightly less? (By cutting the forks, you are cutting off some of the weight difference.)
Well, yeah. If you are weighing them in this dimension I suppose that would be right. :D

I swapped the Crosslight for my Soma fork last season. Didn't notice any downside attached to the weight savings. Didn't really look at the geometry -- just rode the thing and it seemed fine.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Well, yeah. If you are weighing them in this dimension I suppose that would be right. :D

I swapped the Crosslight for my Soma fork last season. Didn't notice any downside attached to the weight savings. Didn't really look at the geometry -- just rode the thing and it seemed fine.
I guess 3/4 of a pound ain't bad for a fork that's laying around....as I said, it'll be swapped if I ever get around to it...or find another frame to put it on...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.