Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just changing a tire on my back Helium wheel so I took it off, (just as Ive done many times before) and when I put it back on it wont spin straight for the life on me! I tried loosening it and retightening it like I usually do when this happens but no matter what I do, I always see the rim off set and rubbing the brakes :mad2: . I know this makes me sound retarded, but Ive never had an untrue wheel so I was wondering if this is it. Thanks for any help in advance!

· Registered
180 Posts
It could be that you have a wheel that isn't true or a broken spoke. You might have a much simpler problem. You might have a tire that isn't seated entirely upon the rim. That would look an awful lot like a wheel that is out of round. If that's not the case, take your wheel to a quality shop (one that services Campagnolo).

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Brake movement?

teffisk said:
I was just changing a tire on my back Helium wheel so I took it off, (just as Ive done many times before) and when I put it back on it wont spin straight for the life on me! I tried loosening it and retightening it like I usually do when this happens but no matter what I do, I always see the rim off set and rubbing the brakes :mad2: . I know this makes me sound retarded, but Ive never had an untrue wheel so I was wondering if this is it.
If I understand this correctly, you are saying that the rim rubs the brakes, not that it has a wobble. The most likely explanation is that the brakes were knocked off center, causing them to rub. If you flip the wheel around (put the cogs on the left side) and the rim rubs on the same side, then it is the brake that is off center. If you were able to knock the brake off center when removing the wheel, then you likely can center it again just by pushing on in by hand. Once you have recentered the brake, operate it a few times to be sure that you have actually centered it, not just pushed it around. Also, be sure the bike is sitting on the ground when you open and close the quck release so that it is fully seated in the frame.

For your reference, most people would say that a wheel is out of true when it has either a side to side wobble or an up and down hop. A wheel that is not centered properly is considered to be "dished" wrong. Flipping the wheel (front or rear) will tell you if it is properly dished.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
If I understand this correctly, you are saying that the rim rubs the brakes, not that it has a wobble. The most likely explanation is that the brakes were knocked off center, causing them to rub.
Actually, the most likely explanation is that the wheel isn't square in the dropouts. Set the bike on it's wheels, loosen and retighten the quick release and see what happens.

I was at an organized ride once where a fellow was getting his spoke wrench out before I suggested he try this simple test first.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
teffisk said:
I was just changing a tire on my back Helium wheel so I took it off, (just as Ive done many times before) and when I put it back on it wont spin straight for the life on me! I tried loosening it and retightening it like I usually do when this happens but no matter what I do, I always see the rim off set and rubbing the brakes :mad2: . I know this makes me sound retarded, but Ive never had an untrue wheel so I was wondering if this is it. Thanks for any help in advance!
Have the brakes changed position? try pushing them to the other side

· Registered
4,838 Posts
teffisk said:
Its not the brakes, I can see the rim wobble on the frame. And thats my problem... every time I retighten it, it still wobbles.

Do you have sealed bearings?

Or can you tighten the nut at the end? SOunds like that could be loose , causing the rim to rock on the bearings.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
teffisk said:
I really dont know about the bearings, but its a Mavic Helium if you know. but what can i do about that if thats what it is?
I don't know about those. I always had a problem like this on my old rims for my hardtail.

see if the nut is loose and tighten it by hand or a wrench (very easily!)

I dont think alot of torque is required, just a little.

It shouldn't be tight and it shouldn't be loose.

Just tight enough to not loosen.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Please clarify

teffisk said:
Its not the brakes, I can see the rim wobble on the frame. And thats my problem... every time I retighten it, it still wobbles.
Is this wobble due to loose bearings or is the wheel out of true? Wobbling due to loose bearings would mean that you could grab the rim at the brakes and wiggle it back and forth. Out of true would mean that there was minimal play when wiggling the rim, but that it moves side-to-side when you spin the wheel. You have never clearly explained what your problem is. Your original post said that "loosening it and retightening it like I usually do when this happens" didn't work, but that sounds like you were just opening up the quick release, adjusting the wheel in the frame, and re-clamping the quick release. That will correct neither loose bearings or an out of true wheel. Until you clearly explain what is going on, you're only going to get more wild guesses.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Truing costs

teffisk said:
Wow, I checked the spokes like you said and I have some pretty darn loose ones! About how much is it for a shop to true a wheel?
The price at a shop will vary quite a bit from shop to shop as well as depend on what is needed. If you've let your wheel go to the point of having many loose spokes, it may require fully detensioning the wheel and starting over. If it's just a few loose spokes on the non-drive side, it could be a quick fix. You're probably looking at something in the range of $20, but it could be $10 and it could be $50.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.