Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might remember my last post:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=63286

Since posting I've finally had a chance to have my DEAN Vador frame looked over by 2 local shops, one a DEAN dealer and another a high end shop closer to where I live in the Silver Spring Area. As I was, both shops were just as stumped but we all agree it's most likely an issue with one of the carbon inserts in the rear seat stays. The high-end shop had seen something similar before and thinks that the bonding agent "settled" and has allowed the insert to shift thus causing the misalignment (apparently they had several Sevens "settle" in the not so distant past). In Seven's case, they sent the frames back and resolved the problem pretty quickly. I'm hoping to have the same experience with DEAN. I purchased the frame directly from John, one of the owners I believe, and he assured me that he would take care of any problems I might have should the frame have issues. 8 wonderful and trouble free months later I'm about to take him up on his offer. I love my frame, it's looks, it's ride, everything, it’s hands down my favorite bike and most comfortable (my neo/retro lugged steelie is a close but heavier second). This is my second DEAN and I have been a pretty staunch advocate for their product, great price, and awesome quality. Unfortunately, some RBR posters/DEAN owners had some customer service issues a while back (haven’t seen anything for at least a year or so) so I thought I'd post my experiences to see who far they have come since there CS hiccups. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

· Registered
354 Posts
I have had 4 Deans... I believe, that despite the pressures of running a small shop and having to make deadlines (very difficult for them), John and crew are honest and understanding. Without going into my "stuff" about problems with frames, John was quick to take responsibility and correct any issue. I now have an El Diente X-lite... the fit and finish are excellent. Workmanship is superb. I will return to Dean when I need (yes, I said NEED) a new Singlespeed frame. Call John, if you haven't, let him correct the situation.

· Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update...

Just as with the purchase, DEAN has been great to work with so far. They took my call listened to my issues and promissed to call me back in 1-2 days (yea right I though, I totally expected to have to call them back) but to my surprise I recived a call from them 2 days after my intial call as promissed. As I suspected, the frame will have to be shipped back, but to thier credit they want to make sure the problem is diagnosed and fixed correctly. I'll be stripping the frame down this weekend and sending it back to CO for inspection/repair. Luckily I have a few other steeds to ride so the agony of the wait won't be that bad. So far so good...

· titanium junkie
667 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:
Just as with the purchase, DEAN has been great to work with so far. They took my call listened to my issues and promissed to call me back in 1-2 days (yea right I though, I totally expected to have to call them back) but to my surprise I recived a call from them 2 days after my intial call as promissed. As I suspected, the frame will have to be shipped back, but to thier credit they want to make sure the problem is diagnosed and fixed correctly. I'll be stripping the frame down this weekend and sending it back to CO for inspection/repair. Luckily I have a few other steeds to ride so the agony of the wait won't be that bad. So far so good...
Well that is certainly a good first step but it still remains to be seen how will they deal with the problem. In dealing with John and Pete before over the phone, they seemed to be very easy to work with despite their reputation for being "slow", so it will be a surprise at least for me if they will not fix your problem. Please keep us updated!

· Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update #2...

Well I sent out the frame about a week and a half ago via UPS, to my surprise it got from MD to CO in 2 days via UPS ground, WOW! It arrived at Dean late on the Friday before July 4th so I didn't expect to hear anything until probably the 5th or 6th. Being the proactive type, I went ahead and called on the 5th and spoke to Tyler, the rep who called me back initally. He remembered our conversation and knew that a frame had come in late Friday but had not had a chance to take a look at it due to the extended weekend. He said he and their carbon expert would look at it a call me back later that afternoon. As promissed he called me back a few hours later and left me a voice mail as I had to turn off my cell for work. As suspected, the bonding agent had settled, a problem he said they had only once before lucky me). Tyler said that it's in the que and should be back out to me by the end of next week. They appologized for the inconvience and assured me that they will stand behind their product. :thumbsup: I'm impressed. The only other company I have had this good of an experience with was Orbea (Rob your the man!) and IF. My expeirence with Klein/Trek, Seven and Fondriest were no where near this good. I guess my next update will be to see if the frame gets completed on time as promissed.

JR

· Registered
778 Posts
Having two Deans in my stable I'm very glad to hear that you're being taken care of with regard to this issue. I hope nothing ever comes up that I have to get warranty work done, but it's always reassuring to hear that the company will be good to deal with and professional if the need ever does arise.

· Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back in the saddle...

All I can say is hot damn! I received my frame back last night and I swear it looks better than it did when I first got it. Not only did they fix the alignment problem but also they polished it and put all new decals on it, sweet! Another surprise was the 3 1/2 week turn around (7-8 days of which were shipping) time. Not bad...not bad at all. I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised. While I'd rather not have had to send the frame back at all, I understand that things happen and sometime things go out of whack. I also believe in letting people know when a company has done wrong or made a poor quality product (saves me the hassle of buying it!), but I don't think enough people praise companies who do a good job, at this point I have to say well done Dean! The only negative thing I can say is I'm missing the cool faux carbon chain stay protector that the frame had prior to going back to Dean. Looks like I give them a call to get a replacement. Anyways here she is ready for the road with new sneakers.

JR

· Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BeerBike said:
good to hear that your experience was a good one. John and that britsh sounding dude were always good to me... Bike looks pretty sweet except for all that funny looking campy stuff.
Different strokes for different folks. I could never get used to the big tumor looking shimano shifters, especially the new ones :D . John's been great but Tyler was super to work with.

· Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Right on Ramjn.

Ramjm_2000 said:
A few more...she weighs in right at 16.2 lbs.
I'm glad to hear DEAN took care of you, I wish they had done the same for me, and no I don't want to relive it. It's good that there cleaning up there act, I haven't heard much negative on them in awhile. Good for them, and you. Buy the way, that is a freakin sexy bike. And I like the Campy too. :thumbsup:

· Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I'm glad to hear DEAN took care of you, I wish they had done the same for me, and no I don't want to relive it. It's good that there cleaning up there act, I haven't heard much negative on them in awhile. Good for them, and you. Buy the way, that is a freakin sexy bike. And I like the Campy too. :thumbsup:
PSV & Zooog,

Thanks for the compliments. Your experience (what about a year ago?) was one of the reasons why I figured I'd post my experience. Having had great CS from Orbea and IF in the recent past, I wanted to compair my experiences. BTW if I recall correctly, your Dean was one sexy beast as well, I loved the white panels.

JR

· Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Peter R. said:
Is that them newfangled Continental Grand Prix 4000 tyres you've got in it ? I've been ogling them for a while. How many miles can you do with them before they need replacing ?

Thanx,

Peter R.
Peter,

Don't know yet. I've been using Hutchinsons, Tufos, and Vittorias for a while now. This is the first time I've been back on Conti's and probably 5 years. I just put 4000s 700x25c on my wifes Bianchi and these 23s on my Dean so we'll see how it goes. First indications are very good, comfy but they don't seem as fast as my carbon comps.

JR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.