Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I posted about some foot and toe pain and numbness that I was experiencing.
Check the following thread for reference:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=186000&highlight=gtrdave

Anyway, here we are a year later and I'm VERY glad to say that the issue has pretty much been resolved. After talking to a LOT of people and doing quite a bit of research AND almost throwing in the towel on the whole road bike thing, I picked up a set of Superfeet foot beds.
http://www.superfeet.com/default.aspx

I got the yellow kind, specific for cyclists.
After cutting them and inserting them in my Pi shoes, I did two 27 mile group rides with no pain or numbness at all.
This past Saturday I did a half century (actually, we rode 55 miles) and had only slight tingling but no pain or numbness.
This is a HUGE improvement as I use to not be able to go over 18 or 19 miles without having my toes fluctuate between numbness and pain.

Now, time to look for a more comfortable seat... :)

·
Banned
606 Posts
cool, I am going to look at a pair of superfeet today. I had the spec. BG green beds but they caused my heel to slip.

Try a new turbomatic saddle, after going through a number of other saddles that's what I ended up with :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still happy with the yellow Superfeet. :)
I also got a new saddle and so far, so good. It's a Forte Pro SL from Performance. I had some points built up and used them towards the seat.
At first I went for the Forte Ti saddle and was not impressed with it at all in just 10 miles of riding.
The Pro SL, on the other hand, performed great in last night's group ride. I averaged over 20mph (a record for me) on the 27 mile loop and my rear end was not complaining.

·
Banned
606 Posts
gtrdave said:
I'm still happy with the yellow Superfeet. :)
I also got a new saddle and so far, so good. It's a Forte Pro SL from Performance. I had some points built up and used them towards the seat.
At first I went for the Forte Ti saddle and was not impressed with it at all in just 10 miles of riding.
The Pro SL, on the other hand, performed great in last night's group ride. I averaged over 20mph (a record for me) on the 27 mile loop and my rear end was not complaining.
Awesome! I got the green superfeet which was my only option at the LL Bean store near (nearest vendor) anyway when I tried them on at the store and walked around a little bit my heel didn't slip which is a good sign. I am going to give them a spin today and see how the workout. I would have stayed with the sidi footbed but I think that the lack of arch support is the problem for me. Did 55 miles monday and at about mile 40ish my forefoot on both feet were in some much pain/discomfort that when I got back to the velodrome I had to take my shoes off for a bit before I could get back on the bike a head home. That was NG! So I am hoping this fixes it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using Shimano PD r540 pedals and was experiencing the pain/numbness issue with them until I started using the Superfeet. I do have the cleat as far forward (and centered) as it will go on my shoes (cheaper Pearl Izumis).
For me, cleat position made little difference, but I'm sure I wasn't able to tell much since my toes were either numb or screaming in pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.