Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roger Musson's already great spoke calculator page has just been updated. You now get calcs for multiple spoke holes per set of hub/rim parameters, along with lacing recommendations for each.

For the occasional user, this won't mean too much. When you have a 2" binder bulging with pages of printed out calcs and build notes, it's kind of a big deal, and it saves a bunch of time when you are doing initial calcs for a new rim/hub combo.

*EDIT* He's also added the facility to calculate straight pull hubs.

This is a very easy to use, very accurate spoke length calculator which can be found here.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Roger Musson's already great spoke calculator page has just been updated. You now get calcs for multiple spoke holes per set of hub/rim parameters, along with lacing recommendations for each.
Wasn't that feature always there? I think it was. The recommendations are color coded, yes?

This is a very easy to use, very accurate spoke length calculator which can be found here.
Isn't that the truth? I've used nothing else for a few years. As he says "It works well and if it didn't, I would fix it?"

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The color coded lacing recommendations were there, yup. But now instead of putting in for say a 24 hole setup, there are drop down menus where you can input a range. So you put in the hub specs and ERD, and then choose from 20 to 28 spokes (for example), and it gives you a full row for 20, 24, and 28 hole combos. It's great.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Yeah,. Pretty slick feature. It gives you the lengths for all patterns for all the spoke quantities you chose, all on one page instead of having to run the program several times to compile the same amount of info.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
If any Newbs want to dink around with Roger Musson's fine spoke calculator, here are some real world numbers to input.

They're from the last set of wheels I built.

Spoke length calculator for wheel building

Front wheel -
Flange Diameters -
A - 36, B - 36
Flange Distance -
C- 38, D - 38
ERD - 587
Don't bother with the ASYM (asymmetrical rim offset)
The Hub & Rim fields are for make and model for if you do a printout (I file all mine).
Bullet wheel type as "Front" and "Non Disk".

Rear wheel -
Flange Diameters -
A - 38, B - 50
Flange Distance -
C- 36, D - 14
ERD - 587
Bullet wheel type as "Rear" and "Non Disk".

The resulting figures are for Radial, 1x, 2x, 3x lacing etc.
The dropdown will show all the spoke numbers you chose.

You will get decimal place numbers and you have to round 'em off to whole numbers - Rule-of-Thumb - +/-1mm to the closest available spoke length (Check BHS.com for spokes and their lengths).
Most places stock either even or odd lengths. Some stock both. Some places will cut to exact length (for a cost). 2mm increments usually work just fine if you do your rounding correctly.

Knock yerselves out. All complaints to good ol' Roger :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.