Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bike: 1984 Trek 720 tour bike

Updated from 27" wheels to 700c wheels

Original cantilever brakes barely adjust to work, but cable angle are not at the preferred 90 degree angles and stopping power is just ok, not great.

My options as I see it

#1 Have bike builder move the brake mounting points. There is a local builder that is able to do this for approx $80

#2 Have bike shop install caliper brakes on bike. I have a set of Tektro calipers in the closet from another bike. It looks like they would reach.

#3 buy and install modern v-brakes. Would I need to move the brake mounting points for this? Would I need new brake levers? My current levers are Tektro r200 brake levers.

What should I do?

·
Registered
514 Posts
(i) those V-brakes ("direct pull") require their own "direct pull" levers, which should not be used with cantilever or caliper brakes: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html ;

(ii) per the same Sheldon Brown url, V-brakes are an option if the frame pivot studs are now "below the rim" (see table);

(iii) See here for article on mechanical leverage if you want to try sticking with the cantilevers (also, if you go to Salmon pad compound and don't fly down mountains, you may find stopping power satisfactory): http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

·
Registered
822 Posts
1- long reach calipers should work fine & in keeping with a nice old trek like this one. use some kool stop pads when the originals wear out. You are somewhat limited with tire size on this option though.
2- v-brakes & some linear pull levers (ie tektro rl520) w/ one caveat, which is the reach of the brakes. FMF makes some v-brakes with a lot horizontal adjustment (i think they're the "powermoto" model). v-brakes, of course, are not very period correct. :D

of course, in an ideal world, I'd move the studs and run some decent canti's, just depends on how 'correct' you want the bike to be. It'd give you a nice opportunity to repaint :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts