Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steel 1980s Bianchi thats had a lot of changes in the and lots of changes have passed it as well.

The rear wheel hub is a Quattro brand (can't find much information on it other than its a piece of crap) and attached to it is Shimano 105 6-speed casette. I'm assuming this is a "screw-on" type of cassette but haven't taken it off the find out.

My front hub is an early 90s 600 Ultegra without a lot of miles. My goal is to update the wheelset and preferably come up with a matching set. Of course the rims will be trashed but I'd like to re-use the hub if possible.

The BB is a Shimano 600 with a square drive attached to a 105 crankset (Biopace baby!).
I'm not so sure about the condition of the BB. It feels pretty smooth turning the crank with chain tension, but when I had to take the crank off (long story -- don't ever let someone borrow your bike) the BB didn't turn easy and felt gritty.

My questions are:
Are there any options for the rear hub? or BB? What is the likelihood that I'm going to have to give up my old 105 drivetrain?

Thanks guys! Please fire away any questions...just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into should I start this project!
Joe

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
During that time it is likely a freewheel.

This primer on freewheels and cassettes:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

If you are willing to have a wheel set built up, no problem in re-using the older hubs. This way you will maintain your 6 spd shifting set-up. Otherwise, unless the frame is good, the upgrade path is going to be costly as contemporary wheels will require an updated shifting set-up. Driveline changes are $$. At that point, it may be worth considering buying a new bike.

For the BB, take it apart and re-grease it. It should be fine unless it was ridden many miles with the grit in there and even then it may still be fine after a clean-re-grease.

Any pics of the bike? Always like to see these vintage rides. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Sheldon Brown refresher!

I'm pretty comfortable thinking the BB can be rebuilt/regreased. That wouldn't really come into play so much unless I was looking at replacing/updating the driveline.

Am I being picky in wanting to replace the Quattro rear hub? I can't find any technical information on it, but imagine rebuilding it would mean a basic disassenble and replacing the ball bearings, right? The front hub is a Shimano 600 Ultegra, but I'm not thinking I'm going to find a matching rear hub as I think Shimano had already moved to the freehub/cassettle system. I'm guessing my task now is to verify the rear dropout to be 135mm and then find a suitable replacement hub in good condition or is rebuildable?

The folks at BWW said they might be able to rework my rims which might save a few bucks too as long as I can find a good rear hub.

I bought the bike in 1989, but another guy posted a page from the 1986 Bianchi catalog so maybe it was a bike that was ravaged at the bike shop and sold to me as a frameset. I dunno, I was 19 at the time so they could've pulled a fast one on me. Its a Bianchi Limited with metallic grey paint and celeste lettering. Its a nice frame, but you're probably right about updating the entire driveline vs. new bike purchase.

Of course, the occasional parts rolling off the UPS truck wouldn't draw the wife's attention as much as a nice, shiny new bike! I will post pictures this weekend (am out of town for work this week).

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Actually 600 ex hubs come up every day on ebay, well you know what i mean. You can tell they are EX since they are numbered in the 6200 range. The next was 6400 ultegra, and so on and so on and so on. You actually have 126 mm rear spacing.. And actually you can still find on ebay the 7spd cassette hubs that have a 126mm rear spacing. The cassettes can still be found but most importantly on the early ones was the method of locking on the cassette.

If you find something on ebay that you are interestd in email me the link and i'll tell you if it is what you want and will it work.

Bill

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill for the tips and volunteering to help! I'm sure I'm gonna need it once I start getting this bike reconfigured to how it needs to be.

After looking through this forum...there are some beautiful bikes here! almost have a hard time labeling my bike as a retro-classic...
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.