Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, my first road bike has been the Trek 1.2 from 2010 (a 2009 model bought in 2010) - an amazing bike that was crucial in getting me addicted to cycling. I maintain it properly and have had no problems. However, I think I would like to upgrade, and am looking for suggestions. My current bike's specs (even the same color):
TrekBikes.com Bike Archive | 2009 1.2

The main problem I have with my current one is with the shifter - I am able to downshift only when my hands the on the hood (thumb activated small shift lever). That is very inconvenient when I am in the drops. Also when I looked around to change the shifter (its a Sora set-up), I came to realize that it is not easy to just replace to say, a 105 - the entire setup needs to be changed and was not cheap. So I thought a new bike would be the best option. Given how much technology has improved over the last 3-4 years, I would benefit from all other "new" developments and components.

Any thoughts on bikes that you may have? Looking at around $2k to spend.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
You won't benefit except for the excitement of having a new bike might encourage you to ride more. If you want to chage to the new stuff on your current model, you're right. It will cost you a lot. A buddy of mine has an 09 CAAD9 that he upgraded to Ultegra (shifters,derailleurs, brakes, crankset, bottom bracket) for $700. He has all that money invested and it still has those boat anchor R500 wheels and that heavy Ultra fork. He thought he was boss upgrading from Tiagra to Ultegra until he put it on the scale....Womp,Womp, Wooooooomp. Getting a new bike would've made more sense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi terbennett, thanks for your thoughts. But my bike cost $800, and the LBS said a component upgrade to 105 or Ultegra will cost additional $800-900. So my thought was to go with a new bike - I get a bunch of new stuff with it. :)

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
But my bike cost $800, and the LBS said a component upgrade to 105 or Ultegra will cost additional $800-900. So my thought was to go with a new bike - I get a bunch of new stuff with it. :)
All that you need to change are the shifters; your LBS is wanting you to buy a new bike. The MicroShift set is only $120 and not very hard to install. I have MicroShift and really like them.
If you're changing the shifters you could also upgrade the cassette and chain and go to 10-speed for around $200.

But if you have the money for a new bike, great! What kind of riding do you want to do with the new bike?

To help narrow your choices; most companies make two main categories of road bikes: Performance/Race and Sport/Comfort. Race bikes are made to be fast, responsive and efficient and (generally) have a harsher ride and quicker (twitchier) steering.
Sport bikes (like your 1.2) sacrifice a little efficiency for a more comfortable ride and more stable handling.

Both styles look basically the same because the difference is in the geometry of the frame. Sport bikes usually have more relaxed angles and longer wheelbases. CX and touring bikes are closer to sport geo than to race geometry.

Many of us prefer the Sport bikes, especially if you'll be riding long distances.
The new CX bikes work well on the road and with wider tires are good for milder off-road trails also. Many (including me) are buying CX bikes because of that versatility.

It's up to you to visit your local shops and test-ride and decide what to buy. There isn't a lot of difference between Trek/Specialized/Giant/Fuji, etc. at each price point. Pick the one that feels the best and has the stuff that you want.
Then make sure you get a good fitting.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a 1.1 and successfully upgraded the brifters (that's the word, hope you like it) to used Tiagra and a 9-speed cassette (since it didn't have one), and it worked without problem. That was about $100. You'd only have the brifters (there it is again) to change, and that's easy enough.

The downside is that you'd still have those heavy-but-durable Bontrager Approved wheels, and that heavy-for-aluminum frame, and that front derailleur that doesn't shift cleanly all the time, and has to be bent back straight after a while.

If you like the bike, then it'll only be something like $50-$120 to change the shifters.

-

Hi, I know you've responded to this already, but if you're buying used shifters you're taking a gamble on their condition, and like most gambles, you'll probably lose; with something that's quite worn (not just gummed up, but worn, and scratched to hell). That's why I went back to my nearly-pristine 2300 setup. Hey, if you want, you can have the cassette I used if you'd like it shipped to you (it's very shiny).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Looks like changing out the shifters looks to be a cheaper option for now. The bike is still fine, albeit a little heavy like you mentioned.

If I go with the microshifter, everything else remains the same (I replace my existing shifter with the new one)?

If I want to upgrade to a Ultegra, I am assuming its the entire set - front and rear cassettes and derailleurs?

Thanks again. Much appreciate it.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Looks like changing out the shifters looks to be a cheaper option for now. The bike is still fine, albeit a little heavy like you mentioned.
If I go with the microshifter, everything else remains the same (I replace my existing shifter with the new one)? If I want to upgrade to a Ultegra, I am assuming its the entire set - front and rear cassettes and derailleurs? Thanks again. Much appreciate it.
Average riders can't tell the difference between Ultegra, 105 and Tiagra. No way I'd spend the money for Ultegra just to get the better name.

The main point here is that it's not worth putting a lot of money into your current bike.

MicroShift shifters will work with what you have now so all you need to spend is the $120.
If you're doing that I would still consider upgrading to 10-speed with the shifters, cassette and chain for around $200. Your chainrings should work but I'm not positive.

You can get the 2013 Sora 9-speed shifters (that don't have the buttons) on amazon for about $170, but if you want 10-speed you have to get Tiagra for about $220 and would still need a chain and cassette. Now you're up to $300.

If it were me I wouldn't spend more than $200 on that bike. You'll probably sell it some day and even having Ultegra won't get you much more money on the used market; it is still an entry-level bike.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you haven't already pulled the trigger on Microshift from Nashbar (sometimes they're 20% off), you can still find Tiagra 4500 9-speed shifters new on ebay for $120. These external-shift-cable are the ones to get since you can use the cables already on the bike. This is another reason not to look to Ultegra. Tiagra (and Microshift) is a good choice if you are looking to spend only that small amount of money.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'll be a little contrary to the trend of the replies so far. And to set the stage, I'm an incorrigible tinkerer, upgrader, bike builder. I love that stuff.

However, if you aren't a tinkerer, I'd encourage you to look real hard at simply selling the bike you have and buying a new one within your price range. (actually I'd buy the new one first, then sell the old one so you won't be without a bike!)

I've rented Trek 1.2's in the past, and although I ride pretty high end bikes at home the 1.2 is a fine, fun, rideable bike. It does have those Sora shifters, derailleurs and heavy components all around - handlebars, stem, seatpost, saddle, and especially wheels. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of that, except for maybe the Sora shifters. They work fine, but are a design that many of us just can't do with.

With a new bike you can get out of the Sora stuff, but you will upgrade the entire package which is also important. If you're not a tinkerer or actually enjoy that stuff, replacing any of these parts will be more of a hassle than you might enjoy. And if you just replace the shifters, you're still stuck with the derailleurs, frame and wheels. As you replace any additional parts, the logic of just buying a new bike gets better and better.

Personally, I wouldn't put a cent into a Trek 1.2 except for riding the heck out if and replacing wear parts, maybe the saddle too if it's not comfortable.

I'd look real hard at new bikes in the Tiagra or Sram Apex range. And, by the way, there's more options than Trek, don't get tunnel vision!. Trek being such a popular brand tends to get cache attached to it. YOu can sometimes get an all around better bike in another line. Find a shop you like and buy what they sell rather than sticking with some certain brand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.