Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to upgrade the shifters on my wife bike. Currently she is running sora shifters, and you have to throw it very far to engage the shifting. I would like to change it to 105s. So, what else will have to be swapped? I'm going from 8 speed to ten, so we are talking chain and cassette. How about the hub? The bike is a GIANT OCR3, so the hub seems to be a no name. I take it that not all hubs are 8,9 and 10 compatible. How about chainrings? I should be able to swap them out without replacing the cranks as long as in know the BCD (looks like they are 130, base on my measurements and calculations).

Thanks

Pete

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Chain and cassette, yes, your derailleurs should be fine, the chainrings MAY work, the crankarms and bottom bracket almost certainly will.

Your hub should work fine, too, you will probably just need to remove a spacer.

There are SOME hubs that can't fit 10-speed cassettes. You'll have to give it a try, or talk to someone slick with the measurements.

peterk said:
I'd like to upgrade the shifters on my wife bike. Currently she is running sora shifters, and you have to throw it very far to engage the shifting. I would like to change it to 105s. So, what else will have to be swapped? I'm going from 8 speed to ten, so we are talking chain and cassette. How about the hub? The bike is a GIANT OCR3, so the hub seems to be a no name. I take it that not all hubs are 8,9 and 10 compatible. How about chainrings? I should be able to swap them out without replacing the cranks as long as in know the BCD (looks like they are 130, base on my measurements and calculations).

Thanks

Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.