Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 giant OCR 3. Is it worth upgrading? If so what parts should I change and what specifically would you think I should use? Eg. I think new wheels would help, but what brand make and size of tyre should I get?

·
Registered
279 Posts
My wife and I own the same frame. It is a very comfortable ride. I finally have my fit dialed in after swapping to a longer stem and better seat. Mine is an OCR 2, so I have the Tiagra shifters. They have worked flawlessly. The sora derailleurs are still going strong. I have about 4,500 miles on the bike now. Santa will be bringing me new wheels. I just rod a century with it and it did not beat me up at all.

My wife's is an OCR 3. I dumped the sora shifters and got her some 105s. Put a10 speed cassette on the rear. I also purchased her a set of BWW wheels. I think I shaved 2.5lbs off of her bike.

I was tempted to buy a new bike for myself because I really started to ride a lot more this year. The thing is that I really cant find myself at a disadvantage when doing the wednesday group ride. And there are some dudes on some great looking bikes.

So, yup, it's worth upgrading if the fit is dialed in. Wheels, shifters and rear cassette. With some smart shopping you will have a great "new" bike for under $500 :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Wheels is always best.
But just the same, why upgrade when you can buy a new one?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
OCR's are kinda hawt imo.

I'd personally want to get past the Sora group. But I can't say a wheel upgrade is anything lesser in importance.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
whats broken?

after that, wheels and bar tape.

then maybe drivetrain, but at that point it might be cheaper to just get a new bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts