Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have two road bikes in my "stable". My rain/back-up bike is a '04 Specialized Allez. The bike is completely stock except for saddle & pedals. The drivetrain at-a-glance setup is a Specialized triple crank, Sora brifters, Sora front and Tiagra rear.

Complete tech specs: http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkMode...sionIdroot=41g610u9ko.j27002&bikeTab=techspec

I'm struggling with the idea of throwing some new 105 10-speed on it. My primary ride has Ultegra 10 and the idea of consistency is appealing. Any thoughts? Is it worth it? Am I better off saving my $$? FWIW, the frame is in great shape and the current drivetrain works well & has about 1800 miles on it.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
golzy said:
Currently, I have two road bikes in my "stable". My rain/back-up bike is a '04 Specialized Allez. The bike is completely stock except for saddle & pedals. The drivetrain at-a-glance setup is a Specialized triple crank, Sora brifters, Sora front and Tiagra rear.

Complete tech specs: http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkMode...sionIdroot=41g610u9ko.j27002&bikeTab=techspec

I'm struggling with the idea of throwing some new 105 10-speed on it. My primary ride has Ultegra 10 and the idea of consistency is appealing. Any thoughts? Is it worth it? Am I better off saving my $$? FWIW, the frame is in great shape and the current drivetrain works well & has about 1800 miles on it.
If the backup is operational as-is, I'd tend to either save the money up for the next big purchase, or spend it to add some toys to the primary ride. I don't see the consistency being worth that much $$.

I went the opposite way. I spent a very few dollars ($30-50, didn't keep track) to turn my second ride into a fixed gear, to get a distinctly different experience from the two bikes. Not saying that it's the right thing for you, but it's another path to consider.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
If it were me, I'd save my $$.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts