Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1998 Lemond Buenes Aires- 853 frame- with original full 8 speed 105. Some of the mechanicals need to be replaced. This is the only bike I have owned and ridden. Does it make sense to keep it and replace things as needed or to just buy new?
Thanks

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I agree. Unless the frame is damaged or doesn't fit, I'd say upgrade the parts (or even just replace with less-worn ones from Ebay as suggested).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I do like the frame, even though it seems heavy, but it is solid.
Do you know if I can upgrade some of the parts piecemeal, with say ultrega parts, and they would be compatable or do I have to do a at all once upgrade? Going on info from my lbs, both deraillers are not worth maintaining and the bb needs to be replaced.
Thanks

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
tele said:
Thanks for the replies.
I do like the frame, even though it seems heavy, but it is solid.
Do you know if I can upgrade some of the parts piecemeal, with say ultrega parts, and they would be compatable or do I have to do a at all once upgrade? Going on info from my lbs, both deraillers are not worth maintaining and the bb needs to be replaced.
Thanks
Well, your LBS is pretty likely to push for upgrading, aren't they? Are your old deraillers worn out or broken? If not, I can't see a reason not to maintain them. In my experience, a new set of jockey wheels and a good cleaning are all that need replacing in the rear, and front deraillers last a REALLY long time.

The biggest issue with going to something like Ultegra is that you'll be swapping out shifters/brake levers, cranks, chainrings, BB, cassette, deraillers and possibly your rear hub, which is WAY spendy. The conversion from DT shifting to STI is pretty serious. There may be some folks here who can advise you on some mix and match compatibility that will keep some of your old parts in service, but I can't.

Unless you're really ready to shell out for the whole STI deal at once, I'd just hit Ebay and get replacements for the stuff you have that needs replacing and call it a day. It'll be cheap, and you can save up the serious dough for when you're ready to make the full jump at once.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my lbs is pushing for some money for upgrades. Thanks for the advice. Ebay does have some parts availble.

·
Registered
168 Posts
tele said:
I currently have a 1998 Lemond Buenes Aires- 853 frame- with original full 8 speed 105. Some of the mechanicals need to be replaced. This is the only bike I have owned and ridden. Does it make sense to keep it and replace things as needed or to just buy new?
Thanks
Get a new bike. If you're really into cyling, getting something newer, lighter, more efficient and faster is usually a whole lotta fun if you've got the dough. You could fix the Lemond with parts off of Ebay like someone suggested to use as a backup, or better yet, turn it into a fixie. It would make a SWEET fixie. But I love bikes, that's just me.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'd be pretty suspicious of an LBS that tells you your front der is worn out. What's wrong with the bb? Has it developled play or is it super rough? How many miles do you have on this bike?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts