Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Shimano WH-R550 that came stock on my bike (see below) and I was thinking of upgrading to the Xero XR-1s. My question is will this be an upgrade or will i just be changing brands with wheels in the same class, essentially competitors. I've heard of people using XR01s since 2001 is there a newer wheel out that is simular, i try not to believe the hype and go with what i can prove but I'm pretty new at this and there are tons of choices. Any receomendations?
I ride with local group rides, charity rides, and train on my own. I usually put 100 miles on a week during training. I'm competitive at heart and always push my self to the limit. I'm looking for higher top end and a little more exceleration.
thanks and i'm looking forward to being apart of this forum.

· Use my Apps :)
1,010 Posts
I did but I think you are in a different situation. The R550s weren't that stable descending with my 215lbs. Plus the impossible to find and spokes and SOL factor if you break one out on the road all made me take 'em off and get some good old traditional higher spoke count wheels. Velocity Fusions with Ultegra hubs ended up stronger, lighter and easily repaired (if needed). To me, that's an upgrade even if it isn't "bling". The R550's front hub spoke pinging was also driving me nuts. The 550s are in the basement as spares since they are pretty much impossible to unload.

Since you brought up charity rides...at a recent one I was at an LBS sponsored repair tent during a stop. One of my co-riders had a flat right at the stop so we let the LBS guy fix it (his having a floor pump was key). Anyway, we got to talking and about rims and he said he regularly has to tell guys with low spoke and odd spoke wheels that they are SOL when they show up at a tent with spoke problems. If you are manly training and out riding for fun I'd recommend a good, light, strong traditional set up. Then a gain I'm an old grouch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.