Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I not long ago brought a road bike, this was kind of a necessary evil, as I race endurance mountain bike and training well on the road is well known to give you loads of consistent power. Not sure how I'd like it, I went for a "budget" road bike, I got a Specialize Allez Sport quiet cheap from my local bike shop- the deal was made even sweeter when we found a crack in the frame and the guys at Specialized sent an Allez Elite frameset as the replacement.

I have been riding this bike quiet a bit of late- during summer I was averaging about 400kms a week during summer (Australian Summer), now I have dropped back to about 250 / 300km and doing 50km to 100km on the MTB per week also.

The bike is a nice bike- I mean it's a training bike, plenty stiff but it just doesn’t feel right no matter what I do with it. It's comfortable but the lower end shifting is sub par in comparison to my top end MTB, and the all alloy controls aren’t exactly comfortable.

Anyways I am looking at getting into road racing (75 to 140km, C / B grade) in the very near future as part of my intensity routine and was wondering- Should I upgrade this or start over?

I can get a good Ultegra or Dura- Ace group quiet cheap through my LBS, and getting some decent wheels built is no problem, as with some new controls... It will turn out quiet costly and can’t help feeling that I am trying to disguise **** as sugar.

Or my other option, is selling the Spesh and starting over- Building a frame up with various hand picked components or buying off the shelf; I have a few bikes in mind, the Serotta Coeur d'Acier (with a steel ass) or a Fierte steel / ti comes to mind (also open to ideas), built up with a Campy Chorus group. The Canondale Synapse 1 / 2 also spiked my interest. Basically I am after a bike that is comfortable on the longer training rides, along with being a home on a race track.

Which direction would you go, "Upgrade the Specialized, or Start Over?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
CulBaire said:
The bike is a nice bike- I mean it's a training bike, plenty stiff but it just doesn’t feel right no matter what I do with it. It's comfortable but the lower end shifting is sub par in comparison to my top end MTB, and the all alloy controls aren’t exactly comfortable.

Anyways I am looking at getting into road racing (75 to 140km, C / B grade) in the very near future as part of my intensity routine and was wondering- Should I upgrade this or start over?
If you are getting in to racing and the bike doesn't feel right then you need to determine if it's the frame or something else. If the frame isn't right don't upgrade.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i'll second what SantaCruz sez, but if you want to race, then get yourself a good frame with ultegra. everything will work great, and when you bust a rear derailler, or a brifter, in crash, you can replace it cheap

seems like you do plenty riding. so you should know - they're tools not jewels :)

CulBaire said:
I not long ago brought a road bike, this was kind of a necessary evil, as I race endurance mountain bike and training well on the road is well known to give you loads of consistent power. Not sure how I'd like it, I went for a "budget" road bike, I got a Specialize Allez Sport quiet cheap from my local bike shop- the deal was made even sweeter when we found a crack in the frame and the guys at Specialized sent an Allez Elite frameset as the replacement.

I have been riding this bike quiet a bit of late- during summer I was averaging about 400kms a week during summer (Australian Summer), now I have dropped back to about 250 / 300km and doing 50km to 100km on the MTB per week also.

I can get a good Ultegra or Dura- Ace group quiet cheap through my LBS, and getting some decent wheels built is no problem, as with some new controls... It will turn out quiet costly and can’t help feeling that I am trying to disguise **** as sugar.

Or my other option, is selling the Spesh and starting over- Building a frame up with various hand picked components or buying off the shelf; I have a few bikes in mind, the Serotta Coeur d'Acier (with a steel ass) or a Fierte steel / ti comes to mind (also open to ideas), built up with a Campy Chorus group. The Canondale Synapse 1 / 2 also spiked my interest. Basically I am after a bike that is comfortable on the longer training rides, along with being a home on a race track.

Which direction would you go, "Upgrade the Specialized, or Start Over?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts