Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded (early, the discretion of my local official) from cat 5 to 4 and have some points. Do these points, from when I was a Cat 5, count for anything? I'm guessing I need 20 points as a Cat 4 to upgrade to Cat 3. Not that I'm trying to blitz through the categories, just wondering if the 10 points I have mean anything at the moment.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Only the points earned in your current category can be used for an upgrade.

Nothing you did in the 5s matter.

Likewise, if you make it to a 3, nothing you do in the 4s will matter. You start over each time.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I don't race, but isn't their one caveat: If you win a combined field race and you are in the lower CAT, if you are upgraded doesn't that race count (for example, 3/4 combined field, you win the whole race as a CAT4)? I know it's rare but I did think that was the case?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's what I thought!
Unless my points were in a 4/5 race, then I'd have some points towards my three. But they weren't.

Only the points earned in your current category can be used for an upgrade.

Nothing you did in the 5s matter.

Likewise, if you make it to a 3, nothing you do in the 4s will matter. You start over each time.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I don't race, but isn't their one caveat: If you win a combined field race and you are in the lower CAT, if you are upgraded doesn't that race count (for example, 3/4 combined field, you win the whole race as a CAT4)? I know it's rare but I did think that was the case?
No. A win as a cat 4 in a combined cat 3/4 race only counts towards a cat 3 upgrade. Once you attain the minimum 20 points and upgrade you start with zero points as a new cat 3. As it should be I might add.

What I think you're getting confused is that the total number of combined riders fulfills the point upgrade table. For example: If 50 riders start and 25 are cat 3's and 25 are cat 4's the winner is awarded 7 points and subsequent finishers are awarded points down to sixth place.

Read about it HERE.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
No. You're not a 3 so you don't get points for beating 3s.

You have to start over in each category.

It's already way easier to upgrade than it used to be with throwing out upgrade points in training races and sliding points based on field sizes and the like. It'd be a true shame to start giving upgrade points to people who aren't even in that category.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts