Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished a race that was combined field 3-4. My first cat 4 race after upgrading w/ petition and 8 mass starts. I finished 7th overall but 2nd of the cat 4s. Do I get any points for upgrade or squadoosh since the 3s were included??? Not likely going to make the 25 mass starts option so I need all the points I can get.

·
Registered
137 Posts
BigPiece said:
Finished a race that was combined field 3-4. My first cat 4 race after upgrading w/ petition and 8 mass starts. I finished 7th overall but 2nd of the cat 4s. Do I get any points for upgrade or squadoosh since the 3s were included??? Not likely going to make the 25 mass starts option so I need all the points I can get.
You get squat because you finished 7th overall. In combined fields, the points are awarded based on overall placing.

FWIW, I *think* that the 25 mass starts is not per year, but cumulative. You might want to clarify that with your upgrade coordinator and see their take on it.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
squadoosh?

Unless it was a "fields combined, but scored seperately" race -- I've never seen one for men's fields, but I have for women's -- then you get nothing. Sorry! Good job, though. 7th in a 4/5 field as yer first race is pretty good.

Was it a vicious-profiled RR, or did you bust out a decent sprint in a crit?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Argentius said:
squadoosh?

Unless it was a "fields combined, but scored seperately" race -- I've never seen one for men's fields, but I have for women's -- then you get nothing. Sorry! Good job, though. 7th in a 4/5 field as yer first race is pretty good.

Was it a vicious-profiled RR, or did you bust out a decent sprint in a crit?
It was a 3/4 field and he's a 4. - TF

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup, 3-4 field and I'm 4.
55 mile road race 2 big loops, with rollers throughout and occasional strong gusts. Started back 1/3 of pack and never saw or had a chance to catch the eventual winning group of 4 cat 3's who took off about 10 miles into the race. A large group (~100) and yellow line rule pretty much halts any progress until the wind / hills / tempo picks up. Ended up getting toward front 15-20 by last 10 miles making up spots on each inclination by hammering and catching gaps. Then a strong 4 tried to bridge, never made it out of sight, and the ensuing pace to reel him in left me about 5th position. I had done no recon on the course and first time racing so had no idea where the finish was. There was also a paucity (no) signs giving distance to finish. Three of us really started putting on the gas with a few miles to go entering the city limits. there was a series of several sharper turns we went through that I beleive bottle-necked the rest of the group and by the time I looked back we had maybe a 5-10 second gap. I ended up riding across what ended up being the finish line behind the 2 ahead of me never sprinting b/c I thought the finish was another 1/2 mile or so and around a few more turns where the race started. Could have easily sprinted ahead of #6 overall but don't think I would have caught the leadout man. Stupid mistake -- lesson learned. Always ride the last mile or so of a race backwards so there are no surprises.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.