·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bike
Trek 1.2 with 9 Speed rear cog
Shimano Sora Shifters and derailleurs
Bontrager Rim and hubs

what i would like to know can i switch out the 9 speed rear cog and add a 10speed rear cog and be able to get the shifter to shift thur the gears

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks
i thought i read it somewhere that it could be done
thanks again

·
Registered
611 Posts
However you can buy cheap second hand 10 speed shifter and you will be able to use a 10sp cassette. The manufacturer would like us to buy a whole new group but what they call 10sp derailleur are exactly the same as 8 and 9sp ones.

On my daily mule, I upgraded a complete late 90's Shimano RX100 7sp group with 2 second hand campy 10sp shifters and a 10sp dura-ace cassette (which I payed the price of a 105 cassette because they didn't have 12-27 in stock) thanks to a jtek shiftmate. I am still using the good old 7sp RX 100 derailleur. I just replaced the jockey wheel with a pair of 10 speed one for 5 bucks but I only did it because the old one where completely worn (almost no dent anymore). Total cost less than 100$. Not bad for a 7speed -> 10 speed upgrade.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
It's not worth spending good money to "upgrade" from 9 to 10 just for that reason alone. It is a slim to none "upgrade".

On the other hand, if you don't like the ergonomics or functioning of your Sora shifters, you can buy new 10 speed shifters and won't have to change anything else but the cassette.

As for a comment above about using 10 speed shifters w/ 9 speed cassette. The derailleur will work fine, but I'm not familiar with being able to make any adjustment in the 10 speed shifter to make it work with the 9 speed cassette. The shifts have a different spacing/throw per shift. On the other hand, you can indeed use a 9 speed shifter w/ an 8 speed cassette because the increment is the same for each. You just set the derailleur stop so it only takes 7 clicks of the 9 speed shifter to go from bottom to top, and just don't use the 8th click.... if that makes sense.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Camilo said:
It's not worth spending good money to "upgrade" from 9 to 10 just for that reason alone. It is a slim to none "upgrade".

On the other hand, if you don't like the ergonomics or functioning of your Sora shifters, you can buy new 10 speed shifters and won't have to change anything else but the cassette.

As for a comment above about using 10 speed shifters w/ 9 speed cassette. The derailleur will work fine, but I'm not familiar with being able to make any adjustment in the 10 speed shifter to make it work with the 9 speed cassette. The shifts have a different spacing/throw per shift. On the other hand, you can indeed use a 9 speed shifter w/ an 8 speed cassette because the increment is the same for each. You just set the derailleur stop so it only takes 7 clicks of the 9 speed shifter to go from bottom to top, and just don't use the 8th click.... if that makes sense.
terbennett is correct. Using alternate cable routing, you can use 10 speed shifter with 9 speed cassettes, 9 speed shifters with 8 speed cassettes.....
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#alternate

Applies to Shimano only.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
PJ352 said:
terbennett is correct. Using alternate cable routing, you can use 10 speed shifter with 9 speed cassettes, 9 speed shifters with 8 speed cassettes.....
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#alternate

Applies to Shimano only.
Thanks. I've read a lot of Sheldon's stuff but hadn't noticed that one.

One thing I'm curious about - he says "This would mainly be when you wanted to use a 9-speed cassette with 10 speed shifters, or 8-speed cassette with 9-speed shifters, or a 7-speed cluster with 8-speed shifters"

I thought that 8 and 9 speed had the same cog spacing and therefore the only thing you needed to do to use 9 speed shifters w/ 8 speed cassette was to adjust the derailleur stop so that it wouldn't shift past the inner (largest) cog, therefore not using the last click on the shifter? I could easily be wrong, but my bar end indexed shifters are labeled 8 or 9 speed and IIRC, that's what the instructions say.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Camilo said:
Thanks. I've read a lot of Sheldon's stuff but hadn't noticed that one.

One thing I'm curious about - he says "This would mainly be when you wanted to use a 9-speed cassette with 10 speed shifters, or 8-speed cassette with 9-speed shifters, or a 7-speed cluster with 8-speed shifters"

I thought that 8 and 9 speed had the same cog spacing and therefore the only thing you needed to do to use 9 speed shifters w/ 8 speed cassette was to adjust the derailleur stop so that it wouldn't shift past the inner (largest) cog, therefore not using the last click on the shifter? I could easily be wrong, but my bar end indexed shifters are labeled 8 or 9 speed and IIRC, that's what the instructions say.
Spacing may be close enough to allow the method you're referencing to work, but according to the attached cribsheet, sprocket thickness, spacer thickness and total width are all slightly different.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.shtml

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,707 Posts
Camilo said:
8 and 9 speed cogs are different thickness, and the space between them is different. just like 9 and 10 speed...this is why the same cassette body width works for all three. the cogs are thinner and the space between is smaller as you add gears. read this...http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.