Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my bike for both reasons of look and performance. Right now I am indecisive as to get a new Wheelset or not - happy with current wheels just not the looks.

Currently have the Mavic Ksyrium Elite S, they are fairly light at around 1550 grams and ride pretty well in the hills we have here.

Would I see much of a difference going to a set like HED rims on Chris King R45 or the H son Archetypes with R45?

If I keep these wheels I may just take the decals off and achieve a better look..thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I want to upgrade my bike for both reasons of look and performance. Right now I am indecisive as to get a new Wheelset or not - happy with current wheels just not the looks.

Currently have the Mavic Ksyrium Elite S, they are fairly light at around 1550 grams and ride pretty well in the hills we have here.

Would I see much of a difference going to a set like HED rims on Chris King R45 or the H son Archetypes with R45?

If I keep these wheels I may just take the decals off and achieve a better look..thoughts?
The HED/R45 is one of my top favorite wheels. I use it for anything from a club ride to a 200k brevet and during the winter months almost exclusively. I also have a set of Ksyrium left over from some time ago.
IMO, the average rider will be hard pressed to tell the performance difference between these two. The Mavic is a box section and less aero than the HED. The Mavic hub is of lesser quality than the CK but, if well maintained, rolls pretty nice. The HED with the proper tire will allow for less tire pressure and thus has the potential for a bit more comfort. It will also have the potential of better cornering, although that's a point argued by some, as well the rest of the benefits associated with wider tires.
Reliability wise, the HED build with a sensible number of spokes would allow for the ride home if you happen to break one. The Mavic most probably won't if you are north of 170 lbs.
Maintainability wise, the HED will use easily replaceable spokes and the CK hub would last for a lifetime changing seals and bearings. The Mavic falls short here.
I hope this helps you to save your money or at least spent it for the right reasons.

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I may be best keeping my current set, I don't race so would prolly be hard to tell. As for durability, I am not the type of person to keep things for years so won't be a issue

It may be a looks thing mainly..I am somewhat hesitant to remove the decals as the wheels will probably lose some value..but at the same time could achieve the more understated look I am looking for

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sounds like I may be best keeping my current set, I don't race so would prolly be hard to tell. As for durability, I am not the type of person to keep things for years so won't be a issue

It may be a looks thing mainly..I am somewhat hesitant to remove the decals as the wheels will probably lose some value..but at the same time could achieve the more understated look I am looking for
Personally, I think that bike is begging for some new HE'D wheels. I can almost hear it. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I keep these wheels I may just take the decals off and achieve a better look..thoughts?[/QUOTE]

My 09 Giant Advanced came with the same wheel. They look even nicer without those odd silver strips between the spokes. Black looks much cleaner than those things.
The 09 didn't have those strips. I almost immediately ripped all decals when I purchased it in 08. Tedious, but worth the effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.