Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Upgrade ADVICE for wheel set Cannondale Synapse?

I am looking to upgrade my Shimano SR10 (S510)/Scwalbe Logano OEM wheelset on my 2012 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 and am looking at either the HED C2 or the Pacenti SL23 with White Ind. T11 hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes, DT brass nipples. I have priced both at prowheelbuilder.com and are both under $900 for the set. I am not sold on this builder and would appreciate any input/recommendations.

I am 48 years young, 5' 9" and 175lbs and ride mainly for recreation/fitness 20-50 mile rides. I live in the city of St. Louis so there are lots of bumpy roads, rolling hills and some decent trails. No mountains or anything too extreme. Rode my first century this past weekend with 500+ other riders and had bike envy!

Just an FYI... 30 years ago I could take apart a bike and put it back together in no time. I have zero exprerience with the new bike so as little maintenance as possible would be nice, although I want to learn over time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
See thread I started 2 days ago, as I had the same question. I have just ordered set from November Bicycle in MD for. Very good price!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Check out HOOPS, you can upgrade any of the aluminum clincher builds listed on their site to the T11 hubs for an extra $200. I'm 5'9" and about the same weight. You can get away with the 20/28 spoke option but I'd go with the 24/28 spokes if you want to be conservative.

HOOPs Wheels - Wheels

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do like the price at HOOPs. Thanks for that. This leads to another question, they quote radially laced front and 2X on the back. Is this a good set up for me (see size, weight etc above)?

·
Registered
964 Posts
This leads to another question, they quote radially laced front and 2X on the back. Is this a good set up for me (see size, weight etc above)?
Yes, outside of the proprietary OEM wheel market, that lacing is pretty much the industry standard right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same bike you have and replaced the wheels with HED Belgium, WI T-11 hubs and DT Swiss comp spokes 24/28. Got them from Prowheelbuilder and couldn't be happier. A lot stiffer than the Shimano wheels.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Sounds like a good choice to me. Look at H Plus Son Acrhetype rims if you want to knock the price down a bit. Esentially the same specs as the C2 but a good amount cheaper.

24/28 would seem to make sense at your weight and with rough roads. Also, think about using 25mm tires, at least in the rear, if you're not already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts