Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If i wanted to upgrade to ultegra 6700 from shimano 105 what would be the best to buy as there seems to be all different sizes .any help please.i was looking at braze on front derailleu and 6700 brake caliper and hollowtech double chainset 53/39 175 mm would these all match up and work together..any help would be great. Craig

·
Registered
681 Posts
Another thought.

If you haven't done so recently, replace the chain, the cassette, and the brake pads. Then replace the cables, housings, and that plastic cable guide under the BB shell. Clean and lube everything thoroughly. It'll ride like a new bike, even without the upgrades.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If it's the newer 10 spd 105, then you will save some weight (not much) but that's about it.

As for sizing, look at what you have now and match that. (for the crankset)

What frame you have will dictate what type front derailluer you need. You can attach a braze on to a clamp style seat tube with an adapter.

As for the brakes,
If they are not great now, try different pads. If they are some of the lower end Tekko, then replace them.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
If i wanted to upgrade to ultegra 6700 from shimano 105 what would be the best to buy as there seems to be all different sizes .any help please.i was looking at braze on front derailleu and 6700 brake caliper and hollowtech double chainset 53/39 175 mm would these all match up and work together..any help would be great.
It seems you have concerns about what these numbers mean. The 53/39 is the chain ring sizes (number of teeth) and should probably match whatever you have now on your 105 (could be 50/34 for example and are stamped on the chain rings). 175 mm is the crank arm length and likewise is stamped on your current cranks and should most likely match what you have now. These numbers are meaningless for compatibility issues. Braze-on front derailleurs (assuming that is what you have now) does not have a size. Brakes only need to match the reach of your current brakes otherwise there are no compatibility issues.

As others have said unless you 105 stuff is worn out or otherwise failing, there's little to be gained by an upgrade to Ultegra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.