Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of excited. I did my sixth and seventh road races this past weekend. On monday I went ahead and applied for my cat 4 license. I know you are supposed to wait until you get ten races in but I figured why not try. I've done seven races and had five top three finishes, one dnf due to a serious crash by a teammate and my last race I had a teammate go on a solo breakaway so I had to set up and try to keep the peleton at a comfortable pace.

Anyway USCF accepted my application, I'm now a cat 4 after only one month of road racing! Of course to get those seven races in I have had to drive anywhere from eight hours to eleven hours a weekend. It was worth it! I do wish there were some local races though, driving a minimum of 500 miles a weekend is getting old.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Glad to hear it!

Glad your stoked about moving up.
I only started road racing last year (mtb racing for years) and did a few (4) last year . Doing my 1st race of 2006 this weekend Most of our races are 4/5 and a seperate 5 so I have always just entered the 4/5 race anyway. Hoping not to get schooled too much this weekend.

Now your on to 3's I assume :)

KMan

LowCel said:
I'm sort of excited. I did my sixth and seventh road races this past weekend. On monday I went ahead and applied for my cat 4 license. I know you are supposed to wait until you get ten races in but I figured why not try. I've done seven races and had five top three finishes, one dnf due to a serious crash by a teammate and my last race I had a teammate go on a solo breakaway so I had to set up and try to keep the peleton at a comfortable pace.

Anyway USCF accepted my application, I'm now a cat 4 after only one month of road racing! Of course to get those seven races in I have had to drive anywhere from eight hours to eleven hours a weekend. It was worth it! I do wish there were some local races though, driving a minimum of 500 miles a weekend is getting old.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KMan said:
Now your on to 3's I assume :)

KMan
I imagine it will be a little while until I make it to cat 3. Mountain bike season begins April 23rd so that will be my priority for a while. I'm hoping to get in a few road races during the season though.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
LowCel said:

That sucks man.. I don't even feel like driving 2-3 hours for a 8 am race.. ugh.

Getting up at 4am is not my thing.

It is bad enough to get up at 6am for a local race.

Cat 5 start times SUCK.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
filtersweep said:
In many areas, the 4s and 5s race together anyway...
Wow, do you just enjoy raining on someone's parade? To answer your question to me yes it does matter. The races I do they are generally seperate plus I would think there would be less chance of being crashed when racing with less new racers.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
LowCel said:
Wow, do you just enjoy raining on someone's parade? To answer your question to me yes it does matter. The races I do they are generally seperate plus I would think there would be less chance of being crashed when racing with less new racers.
This is kind of a misconception, I think. The TRULY sketchy people don't show up to races. Those that consider themselves capable enough to show up to a race generally know their way around riding in a group, and those that don't get dropped quickly.

Rather, I think that the group most likely to crash exists in all cats -- it's those who on the rivet. When you are winning races and are at or near the front all the time, there is much less of a chance of crashing than when you are at the back redlined trying to hang on. You just have less available brainpower to think rationally.

That said, good on ya for upgrading. From reading your posts, you're obviously a factor in your races and will do well in the higher cats.

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
Congratulations,

I'm curious though, why the hurry? It's cool if it helps you with the logistics but if it's just for shows you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment. You could find yourself in the situation as a cat. 4 where you maybe able to just get enough top 10s in order to upgrade to a 3 but does that mean you should? I've seen a good deal of people upgrade with just the minimum requirement or junior results and then end up in the 3s being even less competitive than they were in the 4s. My recommendation, that's all it is - I could be entirely wrong, is to upgrade when you feel you have the results and ability to do more than just hang on in the next category. Personally, when/if I get the points to upgrade I'd evaluate the situation in terms of time commitment (will I have the time/brownie points to train for 80+ mi races), do I have any teammates in the same category? (at one point the team thing becomes important), and do I fell that I can be competitive (it's what we do: compete).

Good luck

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you.

When driving 500 - 600 miles a weekend to the races it will be worth it to me be able to do longer races. I believe that riding with better riders will make me a better rider. Plus I feel that if someone is qualified to be in the next cat then they should be in it. I'm not a big believer in sandbagging. To me it will be more rewarding to have a top ten finish in cat 4 than a top three in cat 5. That's just me though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
argylesocks said:
damn, dude. that was harsh.
It's no big deal. In a lot of areas the 3/4's race together as well. Does that mean that people shouldn't want to upgrade to a cat 3? I doubt it. If that isn't enough a lot of times the 1/2/3's race together. I imagine that the 2's and 3's would still like to upgrade though.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
Good Job

Your record definitely shows you deserve the Cat Up. I would rather ride in Cat 4 than 5. The guys on my team act like they are scared to ride with me since I am a 5. It's like having the plague. Maybe by yearend I can make it up for the 2007 season.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
4's are only marginally less scary than 5's (with, truly, more opportunity for mayhem), and 3's are only marginally less scary than 4's (ditto), and so on and so forth. And generalizing about any individual is frequently a mistake -- some 3's are scarier than some 5's for example. No one should be smug; everyone should be careful.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
good job man. I would definitely rather be able to say that I catted up to a 4 by doing fewer than 10 races but routinely placed top 3 than say that I catted up to a 4 by doing 10 races and being pack fill for every single one of them (my case is the latter example).

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
BenWA said:
good job man. I would definitely rather be able to say that I catted up to a 4 by doing fewer than 10 races but routinely placed top 3 than say that I catted up to a 4 by doing 10 races and being pack fill for every single one of them (my case is the latter example).
except that the purpose for Cat 5 is not really relative strength as it is safety and development, and, IMHO, maintaining the introductory category is as much to keep 3's and 4's from 5's as it is to keep 5's from 3's and 4's.
3's and 4's who think that they are great riders because they are strong can be a menace. You may be strong, but sketchy is as sketchy does, and everyone, but everyone, should learn how to ride his bike with humility and respect for mayhem that can result.
Do you know what "mayhem" actually means? It was the crime of injuring a knight in his fighting arm. So, break the guy's wrist = mayhem. Take a bite out of his ass -- not mayhem. At least that's what I heard.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Last race I did was a 3/4. I'm a Cat 4 and finished 8th, had I been a Cat 3 - I would have been 5th in the Cat 3 race. The Overall winner was a Cat 4. My team-mates who are in the Cat 3's say that the major difference is the overall pace and smoothness of the racing. My perception is that the Cat 3 racing is safer but judging from some of the posts above - I may be wrong. I'm hoping to move up to the 3's by the end of the year anyway.

Congratulations on Cat'ing up!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts